Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Bad Bad Hand

Actually getting 3.5:1 since the SB mucked. IMO must call preflop, F reverse implied odds, learn to read hands and u don't really have to worry about that.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:07 AM

Fold preflop. I check-raise the flop here and call down if he three-bets. Given that you didnt check-raise the flop I would definitely check-raise the turn. He could easily have overcards to your 9 like QJs/QK/etc. that you want him to dump now. Dont give him a shot to river you. If he three-bets you on the turn all is not lost as you still retain a good shot to outdraw him with an ace, nine, or any diamond on the river.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tight, mid aged asain man raises UTG.

I can't tell if he's good or not because he just doesnt play that many hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
In a heads up situation I don't see how folding pre-flop can ever be correct, unless the rockiest rock in the world raised, even then it would be close mathmatically getting 3:1.

[/ QUOTE ]

The context of the fold suggestion was that, if you're going to hit your 9 as TPTK and play it scared, then it makes no sense to call the raise.

It's the classic case of valuing your hand vs the likely range of the raiser. In a full ring game, when a tight UTG raises and it's folded to you in the BB, a med sooted A is likely to pay off more than it collects in the long run.

Because if he's good, he'll likely fold or stop betting a worse hand before the river. Where as you'll likely pay off his better one to the end.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:26 PM

I fold preflop vs tight UTG raiser. If I called I would c/r this flop.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:57 PM

Villains range is narrow, and he seems aggresive. So fold PF is prob. best b/c of rio, etc etc. But, why does everyone need a binary "perfect" answer? Sometimes I fold PF, sometimes I call. When you call, you must play it stronger, and CR flop. CR turn is not great when you pick up draw, since it's obvious to an observant opponent (that you picked up a draw), who should either re-pop you, or at the very least not fold and not pay you off if river completes draw.
The best play is pf fold, but occasionally calling increases your perceived range to observant opponents. Flop CR can then be used when you have AK on a rag board, imagine that...
Old 03-06-2007, 05:22 PM

c/r the flop. i don't mind, in fact quite like a turn checkraise, also. TPTK, a gutshot, and the nut flushdraw HU. let's get some money in the middle.

oh, and i wouldn't fold pf.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:35 PM

As to pre-flop, if he really is the nittiest guy in the world then folding here is not terrible. You'll have better situations to invest in in this game. I would probably call here myself, but I wasn't there.

Given that you're in, I think you have to assert yourself somewhere in the hand. I would probably c/r the flop and call a 3-bet given villain's history and reevaluate on the turn. Since you pick up all those outs, I would lead if he called and c/c if he 3-bet. Then you have to make decision on the river. In this case, that card totally sucks. Given the range you put him on folding here can't be terrible, but you might want to look him up. Depends, ya dig?