Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2006, 02:31 AM

Default Anyone like these lines?

Two Questionable hands:

Live 20/40, game's pretty bad but villian is getting bored with the lack of action and has since reduced his started hand requirements vastly. He also said "hey I'm not here to play well" after calling utg's raise with A7o in the bb.

Villian raises in mp, I'm sb with 66 and call, bb folds.

flop 223, I check-raise he calls.

turn Q, I check call.

river 5 I check call.

hand 2:
utg limps, likes to semi-bluff and limp suited crap and Ak alike. Not a winning player tonight.

mp limps, plays most 2 and has never in a million years been caught bluffing.

Hero is Button with AJc, and raises. 3-handed.

Flop J104 all spades. Checked around

turn 2d, utg leads, mp calls, hero raises.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:11 AM

Default Re: Anyone like these lines?

Hand number one is a easy 3-bet preflop. Take control and ensure that you get that BB out of there. It would have really blown had he decided to tag along. I also don't understand your check-call line on the turn and river, especially after check-raising the flop and not getting 3-bet. This flop is as ragged as they come. Continue to bet in case he wants to chase overs or call you down with ace high.

Hand number two I just bet the flop. See if you can get a medium spade like the queen, nine, or eight out of there if they happen to hold it. If they fold its to your benefit. I really don't mind how you played it though. Easy turn raise seeing as you checked the flop with TPTK and a blank fell.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:01 AM

Jkomowitz, I like you play in both spots. Hand # 1 you seem to be getting good value here by checkraing turn and checkcalling down. although you may be shown AQ or KQ here, I believe given you read you may make villian bet AJ or Ak here hoping you will fold. Checking the flop on hand #2 is questionable, but I like you turn play and mixing up your play here does not cost you much in expected value 1 SB and may help you get looked up by hands like AK or AQ uniproved or any pair. I like your play in these two hands
Old 11-12-2006, 05:16 AM

The turn check/call in hand 1 is strange. Just bet it. Failing that, chk/raise the turn. Check call doesn't give him a chance to fold his 6 outer. Hand 2 is ok. I've done stuff like this before. It allows you to cheaply fold if the turn is a spade, saving headaches. It also allows you to put your opponents easily on a hand. Basically, you can safely fold to any resistance. I like.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:27 AM

The first hand should be 3 bet or folded. There's little good which can come in calling here. As the hand played out, your line seems fine though leading the flop is certainly reasonable too. Sometimes that check raise ties a villain on with overs, especially a frustrated player who may sense that you're pushing him around with a vulnerable hand. He's already shown that he is willing to suspend better judgement. Leading into him may give you a better sense of the hand and lets him save face by folding raggedy overs in a small pot in which he has no emotional attachment.

The second hand calls for more straightforward play. Betting the flop would be a strong preference.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:41 AM

jfk, although i See the merit of the 3 bet or fold opinion I believe that give a specific read which jkamowitz may have here for live play his check call of the turn and river can be an expert play. this may be hard for some of you onliners to understand, but given a read in live play many of us can make plays that may baffle an online players imagination.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:29 PM

hand 1
why check-call turn? do you feel he's likely to bet AK or worse twice for you? i'd rather bet/fold to a raise as you'
re not risking a free card and can fold safely.

hand 2,
bet flop and turn, pray for unsuited rags.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:54 PM

In hand 1, I think it's stronger to check-call the flop and check-raise the turn. He'll fold the turn a ton, and do it with hands that have 6 outs (or even possibly fold better hands).
Old 11-12-2006, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
jfk, although i See the merit of the 3 bet or fold opinion I believe that give a specific read which jkamowitz may have here for live play his check call of the turn and river can be an expert play. this may be hard for some of you onliners to understand, but given a read in live play many of us can make plays that may baffle an online players imagination.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm disinclined to play any playable pair this way as I'd be unenthusiastic about the BB getting priced into a call. More times than not, I'd consider folding it and waiting for a better spot.

Not that it matters, but my live experience is a lot deeper than my online experience.

The way I see the OP's read is that villain is willing to mix it up on the margins. The OP's hand is on the margin. He'd be better served trying to win the pot before all the cards are out and my belief is that a preflop 3 bet does that better than the line he took.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:50 PM

Hand 1 ... I agree that this should be 3-bet under most circumstances, although I think a call is better than a fold.

In a live 20/40 game, I prefer bet-folding the turn unless you have a very specific read that villain is bluff-happy. I've been in his shoes before in terms of being bored in a live game and it generally leads me to play looser preflop but my postflop play doesn't really change much. The problem with your line isn't with the turn really but rather with the river ... your hand might as well be face up and this allows villain to play pretty optimally.

Hand 2, the flop check is just plain old poor poker from an equity and hand protection perspective.