Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Theory post: How do I increase my Win$WSF?

[ QUOTE ]
stop worrying about stats so much

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-26-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
double barrel more (which I very rarely do).

[/ QUOTE ]

seems like you know what your problem is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I think the double barrel is one of the bigger things I need to work on

[/ QUOTE ]

see, you're thinking about this the wrong way. do the right things right and the numbers will work themselves out. if you find that you aren't doing something a lot when you could profitably be doing it more, do it more.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry Kratzer, but I hate the advice that just tells people to "don't worry about it." It's not how we improve.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a vaccum, most stats don't mean [censored]. What games do you play? How many hands have you played? blah blah blah. How do people comment without any more details (other than the obvious "double brl more").

My W$WSF at 1/2 was 40, and I don't feel bad about it. It worked for me in those games. At 2/4, it's been going up over a relatively small sample, which makes sense to me.

Your time is better spent looking at hands, not looking at stats.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:08 PM

work out where their range is weak and then bet/raise more
Old 10-26-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't dwell on it, but a bad stat is indicative of leaks in my game, is it not?

[/ QUOTE ]Barely
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry Kratzer, but I hate the advice that just tells people to "don't worry about it." It's not how we improve.

[/ QUOTE ] You won't improve this way (or you will barely improve). It's almost impossible to pinpoint leaks by just looking at stats, that's why you get this response so often and that's why higher stakes players don't really bother discussing it. Like 99% of missed or negative EV comes from individual bad decisions, not from 'general' things. Work on your reasoning for making each play instead of perceived trends in your game.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is basically what i meant too. Stats just dont mean a whole lot. Post hands, find people to discuss hands with, exchange sweat sessions, join cardrunners, etc. Analyzing stats wont help you improve a whole lot unless they are extremely bad like say you are 50/0 preflop or something
Old 10-26-2007, 05:20 PM

I just posted the following in the ssnl [censored] thread to another poster on this issue:

My interpretation of those stats is that a combination like yours (low when seeing flop/high at showdown) correlates with missing bluffing and semibluffing opportunites and with playing marginal hands too weakly (both folding the best hand too often and getting to showdown with the best hand too often (rather than valuebetting thinner, which leads to not being called some of the time you have the best hand)). It also might mean you are seeing more multiway flops than someone with different stats. This isn't necessarily bad and could be entirely a function of proper adjustments to the way your particular opponents play preflop, but it may mean you are missing preflop 3bet and squeeze opportunities.

My numbers are significantly higher/lower than yours (~42/52) and I'd still rather they be 44+/51-. It should go without saying that playing good poker leads to "good" statistics, not the other way around.

Also, the types of mistakes your opponents make at lower stakes versus higher stakes (in particular, calling/paying off too much) make it so that perfect play at 1/2 would lead to lower w$wsf than at 2/4, and so on up the ladder. More people seeing the flop and fewer opponent squeezes/3bets at 1/2 than 2/4+ contributes as well.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't dwell on it, but a bad stat is indicative of leaks in my game, is it not?

[/ QUOTE ]Barely
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] You won't improve this way (or you will barely improve). It's almost impossible to pinpoint leaks by just looking at stats, that's why you get this response so often and that's why higher stakes players don't really bother discussing it. Like 99% of missed or negative EV comes from individual bad decisions, not from 'general' things. Work on your reasoning for making each play instead of perceived trends in your game.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is basically what i meant too. Stats just dont mean a whole lot. Post hands, find people to discuss hands with, exchange sweat sessions, join cardrunners, etc. Analyzing stats wont help you improve a whole lot unless they are extremely bad like say you are 50/0 preflop or something

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of people are misunderstanding my intentions. I'm not working to improve these stats alone. I'm looking at stats as indicators of things I might need to pay attention to in my game because they may be leaks.

For example, if my attempt to steal % is low, I will take note of that and PAY ATTENTION to when I should steal so that I can begin to learn the most +EV situations when it comes to blind stealing.

Likewise, if my win$wsf is low, I would like to know the things I might need to PAY ATTENTION to so I can begin to recognize which situations are +-EV and FROM THERE, I can gain more insight into how best to play each hand.

Right now, I'm fairly satisfied with my game, but I'd like to improve it still.

I dont' have the time to go through EACH HAND and ask, "jee, have I played this the most +EV.. maybe I'll post it on 2+2." However, if I know of certain areas of my game that MAY be weak, I can pay more attention to it and then KNOW what hands to post up on 2+2.

I'm trying to find out where my consistent bad habits are. Using stats is a good starting point to find out. No one has time to go through every hand and think it through.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
work out where their range is weak and then bet/raise more

[/ QUOTE ]

this implies so much I love it
Old 10-26-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In a vaccum, most stats don't mean [censored]. What games do you play? How many hands have you played? blah blah blah. How do people comment without any more details (other than the obvious "double brl more").

My W$WSF at 1/2 was 40, and I don't feel bad about it. It worked for me in those games. At 2/4, it's been going up over a relatively small sample, which makes sense to me.

Your time is better spent looking at hands, not looking at stats.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not looking for comments on MY game. I'm looking for what contributes to winning a hand when any player sees the flop. Time is DEFINITELY NOT better spent on looking at hands because I would have to look through TWO THOUSAND hands after each session. Further more I wouldn't even know what to look for if I don't know WHERE the problem lies.

If stats don't mean [censored], then go delete poker tracker. Seeing as how you should only depend on analyzing each hand to gain insight into your game, then there wouldn't be any use at all for statistics, is there? After all, they'll "take care of themselves," right?

Or maybe, JUST MAYBE you should both think about your game while supplementing your analysis with statistics to learn more about how you're playing? ..something you wouldn't have otherwise known you were weak in?
Old 10-26-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stop worrying about stats so much

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this really true? My style is a lot more passive (AF 2 overall, like 4/2/1 street by street) and I call a lot in the SB and my win $ see flop is like 38, yet I've been winning at >5bb/100 over >150k hands. And I always feel like I'm doing something wrong.