Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 12:40 PM

Default Calorie deficit and lifting more

I have been doing Rippetoe for about 2 months now. I have been steadily losing 2 pounds per week for the past 6 months and am down to 201. I have been eating about 1750 calories per day on average. I'm thinking I should up this to at least 2k. At which point should I begin to add more calories? I am losing weight which was my main goal from the beginning but it seems like my press numbers have really stalled beyond my beginner gains. I know I have a lot more fat to lose, what is the most efficient way to do that? Continue on my current path or try to add more muscle now?
Old 07-20-2007, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Calorie deficit and lifting more

only you can really know your goals and your body...try upping to 2k/day, you should still lose some fat, but you will have a bit more energy for your workouts so hopefully your lifts can improve...if you decide to add muscle now slowly increase calories over a couple weeks/months until you are gaining weight...
Old 07-20-2007, 01:12 PM

How tall are you? Whats your bodyfat percentage? Or waist measurement?

I wouldn't worry about stalling on the press. As long as you're consistently adding weight to the squat and deadlift, the program is working and you can continue to eat at a deficit. Once those two lifts stall, if you want to continue getting stronger, you should consider eating more.

Check out this thread, there are a couple people that just answer all Starting Strength related questions: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...1&page=117

I'm in a similar boat. I'm 'skinny fat' and want to lose fat and gain muscle without changing weight too much. I'm doing rippetoe and eating at a slight deficit, and I think I'm going to start eating more once I stall.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:21 PM

I am just shy of 6 feet tall. No idea on the bodyfat percentage or the waist size. My 36" jeans are starting to get big now if that gives you an idea, but I'm not sure I wear these at my exact waist either. I carry a lot of stomach fat which I understand is the last to go. Thanks for the link, I've got a lot of reading to do.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am just shy of 6 feet tall. No idea on the bodyfat percentage or the waist size. My 36" jeans are starting to get big now if that gives you an idea, but I'm not sure I wear these at my exact waist either. I carry a lot of stomach fat which I understand is the last to go. Thanks for the link, I've got a lot of reading to do.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oops, I don't recommend actually reading that entire massive thread. Do read the FAQ which is linked to at the first page of that thread. Use that thread to ask questions that aren't answered in the FAQ.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:49 PM

How tall are you? Where did you start, what's your goal weight?

Without knowing this it's tough to say, but I would likely up the calories. After lifting for 2 months it's really pretty tough to keep finding gains on 1750 cals per day. Your muscles need more.