Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 02:03 PM

Default What are the best ways to sell a house w/o a broker?

My parents live in a $1mil+ house on the beach in Long Island. I am a broke student about to graduate. My dad told me the I could sell the house for him and would give me the fees he would have had to pay a broker.

The house is in a very sought out area. Suggestions would really be appreciated.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Re: What are the best ways to sell a house w/o a broker?

I saw a book that was recomended on MSN Money site called "The Fearless Home Seller" by Elizabeth Razzi that deals with selling a home. It has a dedicated chapter on selling without an agent.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:08 PM

I sold my house on craigslist. It took about 2 weeks.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:23 PM

If I were you, I would pay one of the flat fee discount listing companies to put the house on the MLS, then market the hell out of it yourself.

Getting it in the MLS is a big advantage.

If that is out of the question, I would figure out the name of every agent who has sold a home in that price range in that zip code in the last 12 months. However you are marketing the property, make absolutely sure that they know about the listing.

If your plan is to completely avoid an agent on either end of the transaction, the above information is worthless.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My parents live in a $1mil+ house on the beach in Long Island. I am a broke student about to graduate. My dad told me the I could sell the house for him and would give me the fees he would have had to pay a broker.

The house is in a very sought out area. Suggestions would really be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are not on title to the house, it is not legal to 'sell' the house for your dad. Only a licensed agent or the owner himself can sell a home. Once you start holding open houses and telling people about the features of the house, you are acting w/out a license.
be careful.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:18 AM

In many situations selling a property without a broker has the potential for giant headaches. I have had a brokers license for over 25 years but specialize in representing tenants in the leasing of commercial property. I have never considered representing myself in the sale/purchase of any of my houses. And never will. I just don't have the knowledge or experience to represent myself in a manner that is better than someone who does this full time and has extensive experience in the local market. The value of possible saving of commission dollars is not greater than the cost of screwups that can occur due to the lack of knowledge.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In many situations selling a property without a broker has the potential for giant headaches. I have had a brokers license for over 25 years but specialize in representing tenants in the leasing of commercial property. I have never considered representing myself in the sale/purchase of any of my houses. And never will. I just don't have the knowledge or experience to represent myself in a manner that is better than someone who does this full time and has extensive experience in the local market. The value of possible saving of commission dollars is not greater than the cost of screwups that can occur due to the lack of knowledge.

[/ QUOTE ]

directly from the NAR Website??

(I'm a Broker, and I agree in most situations, too)
Old 07-11-2007, 09:26 PM

Yuch, tx for the replies. Those along with some searches lead me to believe that I would be doing my dad a disservice by trying to sell it for him.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

directly from the NAR Website??

(I'm a Broker, and I agree in most situations, too)

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL I never have been and never will be a member of NAR.