Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 07:37 PM

Default Re: November \"I FORGOT MY MANTRA\" Low Content chit-chat thread

tomorrow i'll be attempting to down a fifth of whiskey in 2.5 to 3 hrs (duration of a football game). trip report to follow
Old 11-16-2007, 08:35 PM

Tar,

Atta boy. Which whiskey?

All,

Variance: One of my lab mates got expelled from grad school today for plagiarism. For his qualifying exam, he plagiarized a portion of a review article our professor wrote (you think he wasn't going to notice?) for the written portion and stole a couple powerpoint slides from another faculty member that he presented as his own during the oral part. The strange thing is, unbeknownst to me, he'd been caught for similar plagiarism earlier and given a stern warning. There's no way he coudln't have known that'd he'd be facing expulsion if he did something like this again. How can someone be so boneheaded? Don't plagiarize, people! It shouldn't be that hard to avoid doing. Honestly, though, I did have my doubts about this guy's aptitude as a scientist. When my lab mates and I were helping him prep for his oral, we spent way, way too long trying to get through to him that one of his experiments was designed poorly and led to misleading results. He was railed on the last time he gave a student seminar for some inaccuracies in his talk. I hadn't seen the faculty be so publicly harsh on a student during their seminar in all my years here.

I feel like I should feel bad for the guy, but it's hard to feel bad for someone who commits the second worst violation a grad student can commit that doesn't result in jail time more than once after having already been caught and warned. Fabricating data is I think the only thing that gets you in more trouble academically than plagiarism. Where's Mr. T when you need him? "Kids, stay in school, drink your milk, and don't do plagiarism. I pity the foo' who plagiarizes."
Old 11-16-2007, 08:46 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I feel sorry for him.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:50 PM

He probably wasn't operating on a rational level when he did it. Maybe he lost confidence in himself and in some way didn't really want to be there anymore.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:52 PM

Blarg, have we done a "Crazy female character" thread in the lounge yet? I want to do one.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:00 PM

I don't remember seeing one before, Katie.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:02 PM

haven't decided yet. one the hand i don't want something crappy b/c it will be harder to finish and i will feel much worse tomorrow night/sunday morning, while on the other i don't want to waste a fifth of good whiskey on chug fest.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't remember seeing one before, Katie.

[/ QUOTE ]

i mainly lurk here, but i don't remember seeing one either...
Old 11-16-2007, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
haven't decided yet. one the hand i don't want something crappy b/c it will be harder to finish and i will feel much worse tomorrow night/sunday morning, while on the other i don't want to waste a fifth of good whiskey on chug fest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was going to make my standard recommendation of W. L. Weller, available at a modest $18/fifth, but the other thing to bear in mind is that it's 107 proof. You might want to go with George Dickel #12, which, IIRC, is the usual 80 proof, it's pretty smooth, and it's not too damaging to the pocket book at again around $18/fifth.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was going to make my standard recommendation of W. L. Weller, available at a modest $18/fifth, but the other thing to bear in mind is that it's 107 proof. You might want to go with George Dickel #12, which, IIRC, is the usual 80 proof, it's pretty smooth, and it's not too damaging to the pocket book at again around $18/fifth.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the recs, good looks. i'll probably go w/the standard 80 proof, but i'm tempted to try the 107.
Closed Thread