Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-13-2007, 01:00 AM

Default Stud8 Hand

How bad did I play this hand? The guy was very passive so I thought my aces where good. I was getting worried when he called 4th and wastn't going to bet 5th until I picked up four card low draw. Should I have taken the free card on 5th? Was the river call a bad one? Any other problems with the hand? Please be nice my first hand post.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.10 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds

4th Street - (5.40 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (3.70 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (5.70 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

River - (7.70 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

Total pot: (9.70 BB - $4.85)
Old 11-13-2007, 01:33 AM

Default Re: Stud8 Hand

I would 'play' your hand the same way, although my 'thoughts' about betting would greatly differ from yours. And, I'd be very surprised to see you have the best hand when your opponent makes his very first lead out bet on the river.

There were almost 8 big bets in the pot...will you have the best hand 1 in 8 times in that spot? Maybe. More so, I guess it's worth the call just to gain information, because if this player will only bet when he has a really good hand, then you can start to make more correct laydowns against him and save a bet or two.

That said, I wouldn't change a thing up until that point. And, because this was high-low, you should be betting 5th and 6th street even when you don't improve your high hand because you still have a low draw to go with what could very well still be the best hand.

On 5th, you have the top pair that is hidden plus you have the only low draw as extra outs as well, so, to even ponder the thought of not betting 5th would be criminal.

Also, when you make a bet, you're also giving them that chance to fold. And any time someone folds, it's a + sign for you, unless you had him completely nutted, which you didn't.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:34 AM

ewww, thats gross. Everytime i find myself in this situation i call because i'm a donk but i think a folding is the only correct option
Old 11-13-2007, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would 'play' your hand the same way, although my 'thoughts' about betting would greatly differ from yours. And, I'd be very surprised to see you have the best hand when your opponent makes his very first lead out bet on the river.

There were almost 8 big bets in the pot...will you have the best hand 1 in 8 times in that spot? Maybe. More so, I guess it's worth the call just to gain information, because if this player will only bet when he has a really good hand, then you can start to make more correct laydowns against him and save a bet or two.

That said, I wouldn't change a thing up until that point. And, because this was high-low, you should be betting 5th and 6th street even when you don't improve your high hand because you still have a low draw to go with what could very well still be the best hand.

On 5th, you have the top pair that is hidden plus you have the only low draw as extra outs as well, so, to even ponder the thought of not betting 5th would be criminal.

Also, when you make a bet, you're also giving them that chance to fold. And any time someone folds, it's a + sign for you, unless you had him completely nutted, which you didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I kind of figured he had me on the river. That was more of a crying call. How is your thoughts on betting diffrent? I figured him for a pair of kings, and he was check calling down. I wanted him to fold so he didn't out race me to two pair. If I had bricked for the low on 5th would it have been right for me to check at that point? Thanks for the feed back. I feel better knowing the hand wasn't butched.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:59 AM

I play it the same. I find it unlikely that you're good on the river, but I'm not folding against an unknown micro-limit player.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:07 AM

I would check behind 6th, other then that I play it the same
Old 11-13-2007, 01:17 PM

What exactly are you scared of on sixth?
Old 11-13-2007, 02:21 PM

I always get a little scared when someone just calls calls and calls with a high hand only. Especially when it looks like I am drawing to a low. If it was me I would want to charge they low draw as much as possible(not sure if that is the right move or not).
Old 11-14-2007, 01:38 AM

The other guy has to respect the fact that you could easily be free-rolling on him. All he can do is check and call. But he's going to be checking and calling with a broad range, especially at this level. There is an excellent chance that your Aces are currently best. If they aren't, you can make Aces-up or better on the river which will usually be enough. And failing that, you can always make a low which will let you escape. You're in good shape on sixth. Act accordingly.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:53 AM

Played perfectly, except for the river. Played the exact same way I would have played it. Quite honestly, you aren't getting the pot odds to call here against anyone halfway decent, since they have a minimum of two big pair to bet if they aren't stupid, however, I would make that call all the time, even though it's wrong.