Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Questions to Ask in a Late Interview

Hey guys I have a phone interview for a job today. I've already talked to the firm a couple of times. I'm a recent grad, so I don't have a ton of experience with this sort of thing. It's a start-up and from everything they've told me it sounds like they almost surely want to hire me but I've had no formal offer.

A few questions:

Compensation - Basically just wondering what things I should ask about (401k matching, benefits, ???). Do I ask for the specific salary or wait for them to bring it up? They asked earlier what range I was looking for and I asked what they were looking to pay and they said 40-50k.

Schedule - I'd like to find out what kind of hours are standard without sounding lazy. I'm down with 40-45. I'm not really down with 50+. I'm thinking maybe I'll just ask "What is the typical work day like?"

Negotiation - I'm planning on going to my current boss once I have a formal offer and seeing what he can offer (I'm currently at an even smaller start-up with terrible pay). They know I have some interest in where I'm at, but do I tell them this or leave that out?

The job is about 2,000 miles away from where I currently live, so I want to be even more careful than usual about making sure I want to be there. Anyway, tips regarding those specific things or in general are hugely appreciated.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Questions to Ask in a Late Interview

[ QUOTE ]
It's a start-up

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm down with 40-45. I'm not really down with 50+.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does not compute.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:22 PM

Saying a number is bad. You put the ball in their court. "I think I am an excellent candidate and know I have the skills to succeed, so I would be open to a competitive offer."
Old 10-30-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Negotiation - I'm planning on going to my current boss once I have a formal offer and seeing what he can offer (I'm currently at an even smaller start-up with terrible pay). They know I have some interest in where I'm at, but do I tell them this or leave that out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't tell them this! If they ask, lie or be evasive.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:25 PM

Whoever says a number first loses. Even if I were willing to say a number first, I'd want all the other questions answered before I said anything.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whoever says a number first loses. Even if I were willing to say a number first, I'd want all the other questions answered before I said anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I definitely agree with this (note how I approached the original question about salary). I'm just wondering if I ask about the specifics or wait for them to say it. I mean I guess they'll inevitably have to tell me at some pt.

I'm also wondering what kind of stuff I should ask in terms of benefits.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:03 PM

Definitely find out if they pay relocation costs.

A lot of times they'll offer you a substantial chunk of change to move.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:07 PM

Ask about health benefits, and when they kick in - sometimes you have to work for 3 to 6 months before receiving benefits.

Ask about vacation - this is a negotiating factor. If they can't give you as much money as you want, ask for an extra week off.

Ask about working from home or flexible hours. What is the traffic like in the new city? A lot of people here in Atlanta work 6 - 3 or 7 - 4 to avoid congestion.

401k matching is huge... what about tuition reimbursement, is that important to you?
Old 10-30-2007, 04:15 PM

if it's a start up and they are the low end of your range for salary, ask for points in the company. even a tiny fraction of a percentage can turn into big bucks down the road.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:49 PM

don't even talk money until an offer is made.... you may already know this, but it had to be said.