Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Questions to Ask in a Late Interview

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking maybe I'll just ask "What is the typical work day like?"

[/ QUOTE ]

If you get asked about this, talking about "balance" is a good way to say what you want without saying it.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whoever says a number first loses. Even if I were willing to say a number first, I'd want all the other questions answered before I said anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I definitely agree with this (note how I approached the original question about salary). I'm just wondering if I ask about the specifics or wait for them to say it. I mean I guess they'll inevitably have to tell me at some pt.

I'm also wondering what kind of stuff I should ask in terms of benefits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard of a company that allows an entry level employee negotiate for benefits.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Negotiation - I'm planning on going to my current boss once I have a formal offer and seeing what he can offer (I'm currently at an even smaller start-up with terrible pay). They know I have some interest in where I'm at, but do I tell them this or leave that out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't do this, it almost never works out. Don't even go to your current boss with your new offer.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys I have a phone interview for a job today. I've already talked to the firm a couple of times.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not think you have the leverage you think you have.

J
Old 10-31-2007, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys I have a phone interview for a job today. I've already talked to the firm a couple of times.

[/ QUOTE ]

J

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The job is about 2,000 miles away from where I currently live

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-31-2007, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

J

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The job is about 2,000 miles away from where I currently live

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Firms regularly fly people in and put them up at a hotel. This is just viewed as a cost of recruiting.

J
Old 10-31-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

J

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't trying to suggest I have a ton of leverage, though they do give the impression that they'll be making an offer.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Negotiation - I'm planning on going to my current boss once I have a formal offer and seeing what he can offer (I'm currently at an even smaller start-up with terrible pay). They know I have some interest in where I'm at, but do I tell them this or leave that out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't do this, it almost never works out. Don't even go to your current boss with your new offer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true? I thought this was pretty standard. I think my boss views me as somewhat important to the company and I wouldn't mind staying if his offer were competitive. I can see how it might be awkward, but I feel like after the decision is made it's reasonable to think we could move past that.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

J

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't trying to suggest I have a ton of leverage, though they do give the impression that they'll be making an offer.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true? I thought this was pretty standard. I think my boss views me as somewhat important to the company and I wouldn't mind staying if his offer were competitive. I can see how it might be awkward, but I feel like after the decision is made it's reasonable to think we could move past that.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sets a bad precedent for your relationship with the company from there pov.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:06 PM

Betme,

Just curious where did u graduate and wats ur degree? I think bringing up benefits is a very important thing to consider, especially 401(k). That would be a deal breaker for me.
I think asking about what is expected of you and a description of a typical work day/project is a subtle enough way to find out work hours, but if it is a start up, how will you get away with 40-45?
Make sure you leave your current job on good terms. Give them enough notice. Until you win the WSOP, dont burn any bridges in case you run into em in the field again.

Gl.