Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Couples with differing views on religion

[ QUOTE ]
My point was simply that we KNOW that dinosaurs existed we are not able to absolutely prove evolution (as the previous posters linked article agrees). Is it the currently most accepted and most evidenced means for the existance of man, yes. Is it a "fact", no.

[/ QUOTE ]

the theory of dinosaurs' existence is not a fact. it is a theory. therefore, dinosaurs' existence is not a fact.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While she doesn't practice, she still believes in God and wants her children to be churchgoers.

[/ QUOTE ]

i love hypocrisies like this. "yeah i don't go to church because i have a choice now, but when my kids are young i will force them to go, because ummmmmmmmmmmmm my parents forced me to go....."
Old 10-27-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
me and my wife belong to different religions. we also have different opinions on religions also.
we dont want to have any kids ever. so not a problem for us.

if we wanted to have kids though then i wouldnt have any problems in my wife trying to mold the kids to her religion. who cares.

[/ QUOTE ]How your kids are raised seems like an issue a father should care about.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:54 PM

Dylan's Alias has made some good post in this thread. I'm a practicing Jew and I'm theistic (ZOMG I'M SO DUM!). A lot of atheists are very condescending and think they are smart for coming to a pretty easy conclusion. There are defenite benefits of religion as a Jew I always see my family on holidays this is probably inherently a good thing. I have friends who are athiests/agnostic who still celebrate Jewish holidays because of tradition.

That being said a lot of people assume things that are correlated with religion are caused by religion, both good and bad. Without Christianity there would still be people protesting gay marriage yet since fundamentalists are against gay marriage people often assume Christianity is causing this discrimination. Conversely I would still have arbitrary family dinners if no one in my family was Jewish, Judiasm doesn't cause this, but it facilitates it.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
While she doesn't practice, she still believes in God and wants her children to be churchgoers.

[/ QUOTE ]

i love hypocrisies like this. "yeah i don't go to church because i have a choice now, but when my kids are young i will force them to go, because ummmmmmmmmmmmm my parents forced me to go....."

[/ QUOTE ]

My parents forced me to eat my vegetables when I was a kid. Now that I'm grown up I don't eat nearly enough of them because I don't like them. However, if I someday have children I plan on making them eat theirs because I believe vegetables are good for them. Am I a hypocrite?

Edit: I should stipulate that I would be eating the vegetables as well to set an example, just as ardubz's girlfriend presumably would accompany their children to church.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:37 AM

alright, I guess the thread has been hijacked by the too-smart-for-everyone atheist crowd.
just based on the communications in this thread it should be obvious to anyone on either side that since we can barely have a decent discussion about the issue on a poker forum, a marriage between people with very differing views on religion will almost never work. happily, anyways. If you are even thinking of tying yourself down, you owe it to yourself to make sure you are as compatible as possible so your life doesn't completely suck 10 years from now. I would think that spiritual beliefs would be up there on your list of things to be similar with her on. Find another girl. </thread>
Old 10-28-2007, 09:45 AM

Haven't really read the thread in a while, but people need to realize Christians /= fundamentalist. What some people here are doing is the equivalent to Chrisitanity of saying OMG YOUR BLACK?! YOU'RE A CRIMINAL!!

Jay Riall
Old 10-28-2007, 10:19 AM

jay riall didnt say that?

I was raised by two very christian parents, and had to go to church till i was like 15 years old. It sucked pretty hard, some pple there really kept going and are now like 19-20 years old and are still going and are living by it. When i was like 8 I tried to 'search' god and all and become a christian, but i found out it just didnt work for me.

I also noticed ALOT of closeminded people in there, who were fking clueless (parents are also a little bit like that). I didnt want to be part of that.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:38 AM

Self-righteousness doesn't require a pulpit, apparently. This thread sucks.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The fact that you guys are equating my posts in this thread with POKEROMGLOL's pretty much proves my point that

[ QUOTE ]
a lot of Christians consider any criticisms of Christanity persecution

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused, did you or did you not say "raising your kids to believe in a fundamental lie"? I'm pretty sure I pointed that one out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that's what I said. Do you want to come up with a reasoned response, as I have repeatedly, or do you want to immediately label all criticisms as "LOLZ CHRISTIANS R DUM" and prove my point?

[/ QUOTE ]

Arrogance or douchebaggery don't disappear because you were civil. Not saying you were/are a douchebag, but I can see where people who get that impression from yours and other's tone. Criticism is not the same as condescension.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:18 AM

Caveat: Have read OP only, no responses.

The wife and I married 20 years ago. I was a Jew, become atheist. My wife was a Catholic, who believed in God and Christ, but was a bit disenchanted with the Catholic church. Initially, she agreed to raise the kids Jewish (kinda silly, b/c I'm an Atheist, but wahtever).

Later, when we had kids I cared less about standing my ground, and religion was still important to my wife. She took our eldest daughter to church, had her baptised (methodist), and was raising her within this religion.

She never attempted to convince inflict her beliefs on me, and I never attempted tol inflict mine on her. She eventually stopped going, as she slowly realized that Christianity made no more sense than any other religion since the dawn of humankind, and my younger two children have never seen the inside of any church/synagogue.

The wife and I are now both Atheists. We answer our children's questions as best we can, and as honestly as we can. Forcing her to believe as I did would never have allowed her to come to the point she is. We will continue to raise our children with openness about religion. Eventually, I suspect one or more of them (ages 9,7 & 2) will want to learn more, or go to church/synangogue, and we will endeavor to help them learn and grow spiritually if that is their way.