Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 10-16-2007, 09:05 PM

Default Re: The Queen Bee Wins the White House: It is almost a Lock

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that sure is alot of words to say "president hilary scares me"

[/ QUOTE ]

The post was not about me, but just for your information very little scares me, least of all Queen Bee Hilary.

The OP asked of possible repercussion if Hilary becomes the next President. Let's stay on subject if possible.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

It's kinda tough to specifically answer a completely partisan and loaded question like asked in the OP.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My predictions:

-You will see evangelizing by Republicans and Conservatives like never before. Both will be so appalled that they will take political activism to a new level.

-Conservatives may feel so let down by the Republicans being unable to defeat Hillary that they may split and form a new political party. The new political party would doubtless draw supporters from both parties, depending on the platform formulated. This would be the end of the Republicans, possibly the Democrats as well, and supplant the present two party system with a different one.

- There would be endless investigations by Congress. The Democrats will undoubtedly loose control of one or more legislative bodies. The political gridlock will make the present political gridlock look like Mr. Rogers neighborhood.

- Bushhate (TM) will be replaced in the left leaning media by Hillarylove (TM) as the mantra to dominate the news 24/7/365. Meanwhile, the conservative media will incorporate Hillaryhate (TM) as the alternative choice.

- Government will grow, or try to grow exponentially more than Bush has even imagined. The economy will suffer, the misery index will be reborn. People will really internalize the fact that government is not their friend. Government expansion will happen in the face of vehement resistance from people of all political stripes.

- In short, the political apparatus of our civilization would become more disfunctional than it already is and everyone will be sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Democrats were going to leave for a Conservative party they would leave to become Libertarians or Republicans. I see no major movement of Democrats to a new Religious party.

If we are going by polling and money, Democrats are expected to gain seats in both houses, and the Senate map is worse for Republicans in 2010 then it is now, i see no reason to think that Democrats barring a major misstep will lose either house.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:40 PM

To your first point, there are plenty of Catholic Democrats (they don't like abortion any more than protestants do). However, I don't think that the emerging party will be necessarily religious.

To the second point, Democrats are known for major missteps, and you are underestimating the power Hillary has to anger people to voting or political donation.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We would have a president who is pro-war, professes to be a devout Christian, has been proven to be inept in effecting health care reform, and appears to be arrogant without having ever once accomplished anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

She married Billy didn't she? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

But a great comment nonetheless.

[ QUOTE ]
What are you worried about?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm worried that humanity is not getting to Armageddon fast enough so that the farcical human race, that quintessential joke of the Universe, can finally liquidate itself from this cosmic ball of rock vomit. Despite what many may think, Bush was only a small step in this direction, Hillary would be a larger step, but the ending would be more of a whimper instead of the exciting and interesting bang I wish for - Armageddon by too much paper work, now that truly would be a pathetically cruel joke.

I’m worried that my collection of Blues CD’s is behind par and needs an upgrade.

I’m worried that Andy Fox is still a Jew when he has to know it is not good for him.

I’m worried that the real Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm was actually shot gunned to death in broad daylight in the middle of the village square.

I’m worried my fly tackle box does not have an antiquate supply of golden demons.

I’m worried that……………well I guess I’m worried about a lot things, all of which don’t matter much (as I have so frequently admonished others) so I guess I should not worry at all and skip whimsically about the green, green grass of home with a butterfly net in my hand snatching posies.

[ QUOTE ]
In fact, if we could get her to dress in dark men's suits and red ties, I doubt if anybody would notice there had been an election.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best idea I have heard in this forum for quite awhile.

-Zeno, Not of Sunnybrook Farm
Old 10-17-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It's kinda tough to specifically answer a completely partisan and loaded question like asked in the OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it is not, as shown by the many responses in this thread, all of which have merit and many of which are quite good.

This is the politics forum, to make it meaningful and worthwhile it should have some entertainment value. After all what's more entertaining than politics.

-Zeno
Old 10-17-2007, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After all what's more entertaining than politics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shaving your balls with a cheese grater?
Old 10-17-2007, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
After all what's more entertaining than politics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shaving your balls with a cheese grater?

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img], Good One.

-Zeno
Old 10-17-2007, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No it is not, as shown by the many responses in this thread, all of which have merit and many of which are quite good.

This is the politics forum, to make it meaningful and worthwhile it should have some entertainment value. After all what's more entertaining than politics.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm new here?? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Heh, I guess I would rather read a headline from the BBC than one from FoxNews or the Keith Olberman show. You do have a good point about entertainment value though.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In the end, all we have to do is not vote for these people. It is really that simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree in a subtle, but meaningful way. You not only have to "not vote for these people," but you also have to vote for someone else. If all you do is not show up (i.e. not-vote) you just cede more power to those who do.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true to an extent. But if you are showing up to vote for a party that is doomed to finish 6th (for example) then showing up to vote doesn't help - you haven't done anything to not cede more power to those who vote for a party "with a chance".

I think that even more important than the actual vote is the proliferation of your views before the vote. Where there is a demand for representation of a certain flavor, a party will emerge to offer that flavor. The problem with stagant democracies like the U.S. is not that there is limited choice, the problem is that there is limited demand - the "market" for political views has defined a very narrow range of winnable parties, namely:

- Parties with representatives that look and act like game show hosts
- Parties that will not change the tax rate much
- Parties that will promise to add a government service for your personal movement

Until the pool of voters expresses enough demand for an alternative that it will become a winnable alternative, no alternative will bother to run in any more than a token fashion (like your local Communist Party representative who gets 58 votes each election).
Old 10-21-2007, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that the son of a former president becomes the president - with a record of personal failure outside of politics - indicates that nepotism and inside deals have won over the ideals of merit that the US was founded on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which has been the SOP for quite some time. The establishment of the Federal Reserve was an "inside deal."