Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes

Old 05-15-2007, 08:43 AM

Default How to play suited connectors pre-flop?

Lately I have notice that I am losing money with my pre-flop suited connector (SC) play and I wanted to run it by the community and see what you think.

1) I raise SC from UTG -> BTN if conditions are optimal (ie: the players behind me to the BTN are weak-tight. If they are loose then I will just raise SC's in the cut-off and on the BTN.

2) Possible leak: When raising to $8 (1/2 NL) if I get 3-bet to $24 by the BTN and there is a caller in the blinds - I too will call. If there is no caller in the blinds, I will fold. I don't want to play SC heads up, especially OOP.

My concern really lies in #2. Do you play SC's to a 3-bet when there will be 3 going to the flop or only if there is 4 going to the flop? What I am thinking now is since 90% of the time there is a continuation bet on the flop after a 3-bet with 3 going to the flop, I will need a strong heads-up hand AK-AJ, AA-TT to decide if I am going play the hand any further - not SC's.

Thoughts?
Old 05-15-2007, 09:49 AM

Default Re: How to play suited connectors pre-flop?

Here's my basic strategy on playing suited connectors. i'd be grateful if some of the more experienced posters would demolish it for me.

UTG-UTG+1: 6-handed I basically never raise suited connectors from these positions. I used to, but don't anymore.

CO-BTN, first in: Unless BTN is a shorty/calling station type, i'll open-raise SCs and suited semi-connectors down to 75s. the most important factor I consider when raising from these spots is stack sizes, and then villains' PF and post flop tendencies. If one of the players still to act is aggro PF and either 3-bets or folds, i'll fold everything under T9s from the CO unless i feel i can profitably call a RR.

CO-BTN, after limpers: here i consider 3 things:
1. Stack sizes: if we're deep, i'll raise damn near anything i would complete in the SB after 1 limper.
2. Number of limpers: i'm less likely to raise SCs if there are many limpers, both because they're less likely to fold to a steal and because of...
3.pot size on flop: the number of limpers PF affects the pot size on the flop, obviously. this fact(AND the likelihood that 1 or more villains will have hit and continue beyond the flop) means that large pots by the river are much more easy to achieve and MASSIVELY increases implied odds. this is particularly effective against calling stations, and TAGs who'll go crazy with TP in a multiway pot. I'll limp behind with 23s and 54o OTB if 2 calling stations limp ahead and i'm basically guaranteed a 5 way flop.

BB+ SB: too complex, suffice to say if i'm facing an open raise from BTN i'll usually fold or raise SCs below JTs depending on BTN's tendencies. If i'm BB and SB called ahead of me i'll raise a lot more.

WHOOPS, JUST REALISED I MISREAD YOUR QUESTION. SCREW IT, I'LL POST WHAT I WROTE ANYWAY.

In regards to your question, i think it might be a bit too general to answer quickly.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:00 AM

Simple suggestion: Stop playing suited connectors OOP. When you are a clear winner with sc's in position then you can start to add OOP-play to your arsenal.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Simple suggestion: Stop playing OOP.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-15-2007, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lately I have notice that I am losing money with my pre-flop suited connector (SC) play and I wanted to run it by the community and see what you think.

1) I raise SC from UTG -> BTN if conditions are optimal (ie: the players behind me to the BTN are weak-tight. If they are loose then I will just raise SC's in the cut-off and on the BTN.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope you're playing 6-handed.

Do you know what positions you're losing this money in?
Old 05-15-2007, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope you're playing 6-handed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes this is all 6-handed play.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Anything OOP [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2007, 10:45 AM

Two off-topic but questions I have:

1) Your average 22/13 raises to 4x BB in MP. You have KJos or ATs on the button do you call?

2) What hands do you only play OOP? AK-AJ? AA-22?
Old 05-15-2007, 10:56 AM

1) fold them both.
2) depends on table conditions and my recent image
Old 05-15-2007, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Anything OOP [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, then I'm sure you can see a straight-forward way to correct that problem.

Keep in mind that raising a suited connector in position is for deception. If your opponents are immune to deception due to inattention or cleverness, then raising is a spew.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Two off-topic but questions I have:

1) Your average 22/13 raises to 4x BB in MP. You have KJos or ATs on the button do you call?

[/ QUOTE ]

I call almost always because (i) I might have the best hand and (ii) with position I can often take the pot away (by betting when he checks on a rags flop) or by floating even if I don't.

[ QUOTE ]
2) What hands do you only play OOP? AK-AJ? AA-22?

[/ QUOTE ]

To a raise - seems about right for me versus the player you described. I will raise a wider range though in EP, knowing that I will probably end up playing the hand out of position.

Lucky