Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Dell notebooks

[ QUOTE ]
i was also thinking about a new dell laptop.

should i bother with macafey and should i get vista instead of xp bothcost the same??
heres the spec:

[/ QUOTE ]

Do not get Mcafee. I recommend staying with XP over Vista for now. What are you planning on doing with that laptop? You may not be very happy with the performance or resolution of that machine.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For desktops I'm usually anti-Dell, but for laptops (nongaming) I usually recommend Dells to my friends because of the accidental coverage they have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you against Dell desktops? What else would you suggest? My next computer will be a desktop and would have gone with Dell as the laptop has run great.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:24 PM

you should really go with the Intel Core2 Duo systems, you will get noticably better performance.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:13 PM

Why are these notebooks relatively inexpensive? Is it really dumb to buy one to play online poker with?
Old 10-19-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You may not be very happy with the performance or resolution of that machine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you are going to want at least 1680x1050. With this resolution you can 4 table with a bit of top/bottom overlap.

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you against Dell desktops? What else would you suggest? My next computer will be a desktop and would have gone with Dell as the laptop has run great.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree I love my Dell laptop, but if I were going desktop I would go with Cyberpower PC. Main reason is in a desktop I would be going with a gaming machine. Dell uses their own form factor for their cases, and use some of their own proprietary hardware...like their MB, so upgrading/replacing something like the MB could be an issue if you want to go with something other than Dells. Also for the price of the XPS i can get a better/cheaper machine than Dell. A friend of mine who builds his own comps bought a cyberpower recently because when he added up the parts, they were just a little over what he could've gotten them for. The neg with Cyberpower is their CS is horrible.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:21 PM

simple question, please answer this if you can

are these dell notebooks for home use at least decent to use as laptops to play online poker?

I can get a very good price on one of them and this is an important decision.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:18 PM

I bought a new Inspiron few months ago and like it for the most part. Didn't get the base model though. Was around $1500.

Screen upgrade was a must, 17" 1920x1200 resolution, so I could 9 table with no overlap. Also went with the Intel Core2 Duo and also got 2gb memory.

Only complaint about it is the builtin Intel wireless adapter. It has a glitch (feature?) that makes it look randomly for a better signal. When this happens your connection will stall for 10-15 seconds. Not fun when on 9 tables and in middle of several hands.

This happened about every 10-15 minutes when I first got it. You can change the roaming setting under the preferences to "Minimum" and now it only happens every couple of hours. There are widespread complaints about this all over the internet with this adapter, so its not just mine.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like Dell desktops cause most of the parts are proprietary so little to no room for upgrading parts for a reasonable price. Thats fairly irrelevant for laptops as you do little to no upgrading on your own (sans RAM).