Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 02:19 AM

Default 30 and living at home

I was having a discussion with some friends regarding this. It seems like this day and age, its more common for kids to still live with their parents, later on in life. People have different reasons. Some are going to school, while some are saving up for a condo. It just seems to be part of the trend of people waiting longer before they get married. Humans are living now longer than they use to 100 + years ago, so it just seems to be part of the trend of people not going out and rushing things.

Living at home as a 30 year old isn't the popular or mainstream way of doing things, but I'm just saying that it isn't as rare as it use to be, and its lost that stigma of only being for Star Wars obsessed/psycopathic/socially disabled losers.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:39 AM

Default Re: 30 and living at home

so, you're a lotr fan, then.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so, you're a lvl 70 Undead Priest in WoW , then.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-26-2007, 03:48 AM

I agree it's more common, but ambitious people will always look down on it - and with good reason. There is no substitute for standing completely on your own two feet, and it's hard to respect someone who doesn't. At least in my opinion.

But it's definitely becoming more socially accepted, especially where some wealth is involved.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree it's more common, but ambitious people will always look down on it - and with good reason. There is no substitute for standing completely on your own two feet, and it's hard to respect someone who doesn't. At least in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is pretty arrogant. sure there are some people who are just computer nerd bums who stay at home, but its a great financial option to have for people who don't make enough money to live alone. imo it would be better to live at home in a financially stable situation as opposed to accruing debt in order "to stand on your own two feet"-- to hell w/respectability.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was having a discussion with some friends regarding this. It seems like this day and age, its more common for kids to still live with their parents, later on in life. People have different reasons. Some are going to school, while some are saving up for a condo. It just seems to be part of the trend of people waiting longer before they get married. Humans are living now longer than they use to 100 + years ago, so it just seems to be part of the trend of people not going out and rushing things.

Living at home as a 30 year old isn't the popular or mainstream way of doing things, but I'm just saying that it isn't as rare as it use to be, and its lost that stigma of only being for Star Wars obsessed/psycopathic/socially disabled losers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still: nothing tells the ladies that you are ready to tear the world a new ass like living with your mom.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:35 AM

I think it's not looked down upon in other countries as much as in the US.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Still: nothing tells the ladies that you are ready to tear the world a new ass like living with your mom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its quite a dilemma for the not so young adults. Home: you can work and save tons of money instead of paying rent. Away: being able to bring chics back.

I've lived away and at home. I've seen both sides. It sucks when your out and have a chance to score, but you can't take girls back cause you live with the parents.

At the same time, I've lived away, and its sucked when there were no chances to bring girls back. During those periods, there was no real advantage to living away. I was just paying rent 'just incase I meet some easy chics'.

I guess alot has to do with how good you are with the ladies. If you have chances to score every weekend, living away is probably worth the cost, just for the ladies alone.

If you are more of a mediocre looking guy, you don't really miss out on scoring with the ladies by living with the parents and saving money. The catch 22 is, that living away from home can make you more attractive to the ladies because of the image of your independence. Another side of it is that women can also find you attractive when you've got that huge downpayment saved up for the condo you want, or you save so much money from living at home that you can afford alot of the perks other people can't.

Its really about choices and what you want to do with your money. Pay rent, or spend on other things.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its quite a dilemma for the not so young adults. Home: you can work and save tons of money instead of paying rent. Away: being able to bring chics back.

I've lived away and at home. I've seen both sides. It sucks when your out and have a chance to score, but you can't take girls back cause you live with the parents.

At the same time, I've lived away, and its sucked when there were no chances to bring girls back. During those periods, there was no real advantage to living away. I was just paying rent 'just incase I meet some easy chics'.

I guess alot has to do with how good you are with the ladies. If you have chances to score every weekend, living away is probably worth the cost, just for the ladies alone.

If you are more of a mediocre looking guy, you don't really miss out on scoring with the ladies by living with the parents and saving money. The catch 22 is, that living away from home can make you more attractive to the ladies because of the image of your independence. Another side of it is that women can also find you attractive when you've got that huge downpayment saved up for the condo you want, or you save so much money from living at home that you can afford alot of the perks other people can't.

Its really about choices and what you want to do with your money. Pay rent, or spend on other things.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was just a flippant comment. Its nobody's business what you want to do.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:02 AM

One thing I can definetely say about owning a home/condo in Vancouver about all of my friends who are 30, and that is they all own with a wife or live in girlfriend. There are only a couple of single friends I have that are 30 and they either rent 1 bedroom places or live with their parents. My one buddy pays $1,000 a month living downtown. Remember the CDN$ is basically the same as the US$ these days.

For the salary I was making $1000 rent would be pretty steep. If I did that to try and have a fun time and meet girls living downtown, I could probably only afford to pay that for I'd say a year, then move back home and save money, or move out to a cheaper place.

1 bedrooms in the Vancouver area range from $600 in the suburbs to $1000+ downtown. Downtown, you'd get like 600 sq feet max.