Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-10-2007, 01:53 PM

Default Need Theory/Advice - low pocket pair late in tourney with large blinds

I need some input on a probelm which I have been running into lately in large MTTs - I am interested in as many points of view as I can get:

Here is the situation:

450+ player MTT with low buyin; 20 or so get paid though it really doesn;t mean anything unless you are top 3

late in tourney with about 58 ppl left - blinds at 300-600+ 50 ante so there is 1,350 to start

All fold to MP player (relatively active over the last few rounds around the table) who open for a std table raise of 3x BB.

Folded around to me in SB and I have 2-2. My stack is a little over 9,000 - close to 7 rounds

With pot of 3125 I push all in and get called by MP raise who has A-K.

Flop is x-x-x with x being all above my 2s and below his A-K. When an A pops on the turn I am done for the night.

Here are four ways I have come up with to look at problem and would love some feedback -

1) Fold - if raise equals pair I am a big dog and two high cards would result in race. I am through the blinds and can wait for a better opportunity to get my money in.

2) Raise all-in - dwindling stack size is putting pressure on me to accumulae some chips. Active player could be raising with lots of hands so likelihood of unpaired high cards is relatively good. if called probably be in race or if no call I just add 33%+ to my stack.

3) Raise about 4.5 - 5k: though willing to put in all the chips, likely to get info on viability of hand based on response - i.e. reraise probably a mid/high pair; call probably low pair or high cards; also possbile fold. If rerasied all in could decide not to play and still have 5k or so to make my next round with. If smooth call then depending on flop could push all-in (if mid cards then)or check if something likely to have hit player comes;

and finally, 4) Call: Does smooth calling the raise give me the best shot at losing the least amount while still giving me the ability to win at least the pre-flop money in pot? i.e. if I smooth call and flop comes out like it did - J-6-4 (i think) then A-K, K-Q, etc most likely would fold to an all-in push, no? If high cards come, then I lose 1,800 and still have 5.5 rounds to make something happen.

REALLY would like comments on the different approaches and whether any of my reqsoning makes sense in any of the approaches, which one seems like the "right" play here?

Thanks for taking out the time to read all this...I have been playing for about 2 years and, lately, find myself quite frequently finishing these MTT relatively close to the money bubble and would like to elevate the game....especially as I consider moveing to the higher buy-in events.

Thanks again!