Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-05-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Massive Turnover in Caesars Palace Staff?

Earlier today, I spoke with a former floorperson of Caesars Palace (since they opened) who is now working in another big poker room on the Strip. According to this person, management has fired or driven away (this person quit) most of the staff of the poker room and replaced them with less experienced personnel.

I haven't been at Caesars Palace much lately except for this weekend. So, I haven't seen this myself. Does anybody else know anything about the current situation at Caesars Palace?
Old 11-05-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Massive Turnover in Caesars Palace Staff?

Problem in two words, THE MANAGER.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:14 PM

from the 2+2ers I read reviews from the caesar's room is preety good....

when did this change take place?
Old 11-05-2007, 09:04 PM

I was there two days ago, saw the same personnel as I have for the last month.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:15 PM

When I was in Vegas for the WSOP I played at Caesar's a couple times and one of the floorpeople (I forget his name - , maybe?) was really exceptional at his job - 6 of us came in drunk and asked if they'd start a $4/$8 HORSE game for us and he got a table up right away. A few nights later after the SSNL dinner he helped us start up 3 tables for all of us to donk around in a HORSE game (*TT* participated, and Mason Malmuth later stopped by and laid a brutal badugi cooler on me despite never having played the game before) which later turned into dealer's choice and a lot of hilarious variants - just like a home game basically, was a huge blast.

I was playing 2/5 at MGM towards the end of my trip and he sat down next to me - I started talking to him and he said he'd actually just quit at Caesar's because the management sucks. Stuff about how he was trying to help out the players as much as possible (which I def believe, cause he was awesome) but all the room cared about was the bottom line.

He said he was going to work at Venetian after that.

name edited out by *TT* to protect the innocent, we know that Harrah's corporate management read 2+2 on occasion
Old 11-05-2007, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mason Malmuth later stopped by and laid a brutal badugi cooler on me despite never having played the game before

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, that was fantastic. Mason didnt even know the rules of Badugi but totally pwned you with his knowledge of the Theory of Poker. It just goes to show how amazing that book really is, you can create a new poker game and still be the best player at the table without even knowing the rules just by understanding the concepts within that book.

Thanks to Mason's heavy beat on GoofyBaller he made me un-stuck, he was playing with my chips- hurray! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2007, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Earlier today, I spoke with a former floorperson of Caesars Palace (since they opened) who is now working in another big poker room on the Strip. According to this person, management has fired or driven away (this person quit) most of the staff of the poker room and replaced them with less experienced personnel.

I haven't been at Caesars Palace much lately except for this weekend. So, I haven't seen this myself. Does anybody else know anything about the current situation at Caesars Palace?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hasn't this been their recent history since reopening a couple years ago? Their first two poker room managers were fired because they were knowledgable poker people. Now the manager is a Harrahs pit guy? And now they have a silly bad beat jackpot drop?

Pretty typical Harrahs poker decisions.

Plus there is the sneaky $5 rake that Harrahs is implementing property by property. And don't even get started on the wsop; last years color-up event and the player UN-friendly cards this year.

ok ok Rant Over
Old 11-05-2007, 09:28 PM

Apparently I missed the chapter on coolering 101. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] It was like my 7-6 badugi which I'd been ramming and jamming to his 7-5.

This may not even be that sick since I don't know the game either, but it sure felt like it at the time, lol.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus there is the sneaky $5 rake that Harrahs is implementing property by property.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nothing sneaky about that $5, other than the very small print they use to change the placards on the tables when it goes up.

That MAY be on its way out. I mostly stopped visiting Ballys+Harrah's after they raised the rake, but I went back a week ago, or so. The scuttlebutt is the $5 rake has been a spectacular failure, and business in the rooms is off measurably. They're making more per table, when the tables are going, but they're getting fewer tables. They've basically driven away most of the regulars and are finding it's tough to keep things going with just the bleating tourists who don't know any better. So the dealers and floors were all quietly suggesting they figured it wouldn't last much longer, nor would the manager who pushed it at the outset. I believe the make/break was considered to be whether Flamingo could be coerced into adopting it, and so far Flamingo had resisted and was showing no signs of changing (guess Caesars is written off as never coming on board [apparently kinda vocally]).
Old 11-05-2007, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently I missed the chapter on coolering 101. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] It was like my 7-6 badugi which I'd been ramming and jamming to his 7-5.

This may not even be that sick since I don't know the game either, but it sure felt like it at the time, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

when you have a rough 7 Badugi, the median Badugi is a clean 9, and your HU vs a very good card player its usually good to stop ramming and jamming at some point [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]