Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 01:41 AM

Default Discuss: Classic Article: Going Up or Down

Classic Article: Going Up or Down by Mason Malmuth

To give our author feedback and to encourage discussion, I'm creating this thread to discuss the article linked above.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Discuss: Classic Article: Going Up or Down

There was a recently televised WSOP HORSE event in which the players were playing Razz. A short stacked player was in the pot, and Barry Greenstein raised with split sevens and a low door card. He then bet on the next street, driving out a third player who actually had a better low than Barry at the time.

Barry ended up winning vs the all-in by the river, but he took a minute to describe why he'd raised and followed up with another bet to drive out the other player and get heads up with the all-in. His reasoning sounded a lot like this article.

[ QUOTE ]
...a raise on your part will preserve your probability of winning and maximize your expectation even though your initial cost is higher. On the other hand, a call here will essentially allow the probability of your winning to go down faster than the size of the pot is going up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyway, even if I got the action wrong from the hand, I remember Barry's reasoning reminded me a lot of this article.