Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Boy, are we lucky! CP WPT Coverage

As someone who follows most of the online tournament coverage when I can, it really blows that Cardplayer has gotten exclusive rights for WPT events. Not only has it basically put down some sites, but nothing has changed in the actual coverage.

Now I don't know for sure, but in the first two-three levels yesturday, there was several detailed hands, bet for bet on WPT's website(at which point, CP hadn't even started posting, which makes me assume maybe the WPT was doing the updates). When CP began posting about the third-fourth level, we almost had no hand details. All CP does is board AA435 bet, call. And if we're lucky, we get three updates an hour.

I understand its the first day(s) of the tournament, but I have no reason to believe its gonna change from the usual CP shitiness late in the tournament.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Boy, are we lucky! CP WPT Coverage

This kind of update is almost an egregious offense of the like: From Cardplayer live-updates
[ QUOTE ]
Gavin Smith Takes a Hit
Danny Wong, and he bets 5,600. Smith thinks then makes the call. The river brings the Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and Smith checks again. Wong bets 14,000 and again Smith goes into the tank. He finally makes the call but mucks when Wong tables 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Man...this really burns my azz! This is just unacceptable @ any level of reporting. At first I didn't mind b/c there was always other sites to find updates from, but w/ the exclusivity now this is just awful for everyone and poker itself.

Poker needs MASS coverage, not limited. Just a gross injustice for poker by the companies involved here and w/ the WSOP. Really just boils down to another money grab w/o any funnel back to the players yet again. Disgraceful.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:24 PM

What about this is upsetting to you? That they didn't display the board? Who really cares about details of early-stage hands? In the early stages of the tournament, you can't expect there to be a reporter at every table. I just like for the chips counts for the major players to be accurate and updated.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Haralabos Voulgaris Takes Down a Nice Pot

On the board of K43, Allen Cunningham folds and Haralabos calls.

The turn is a K and this time Haralabos bets 13,000. Phillips shakes his head and mucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

although I don't care about hands from early stages, I must agree with OP that this is a fairly embarrassing level of reportage.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:27 PM

My name is BJ Nemeth, and I a lead tournament reporter for the WPT live update team. A few quick points:

As part of the CP/WPT deal, the CP reporters work side-by-side with the WPT reporters. The content is originally posted on the WPT website, and then automatically fed to CP's system to post on their website. There is no stealing -- the content is effectively identical (by procedure) between the two sites.

There are quite a few technical issues being worked out as the two admin systems are modified to talk to each other. One problem in particular is some player names dropping out of posts as they transfer to CP, and we're assured that people are working on the problem (and we think we have a short-term fix).

The reporters (myself and others) are spending an unusual amount of time adjusting to admin problems. These problems should be resolved soon, and we can then focus our energies entirely on the reporting, and not on computer issues.

The criticisms are fair, and everyone is welcome to their opinions. I just wanted to give you a bit of insight into what's going on behind the scenes.

Back to work for me ...
Old 08-27-2007, 10:35 PM

check out this gem:

Frustrated Chop for Joe Sebok

On the board AQ55, Joe Sebok checks and Seat 4 bets out 12,000. Sebok calls. The river is an A. Again Sebok checks and this time Seat 4 bets out 20,000. Sebok immediately says "all in".

Seat 4 stares at the board and finally says "I call." Sebok shows AJ and his opponent shows A10. Both have two pair,and the Queen plays, so its a chopped pot. Sebok sighs heavily and shakes his head as he rakes in his portion.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:38 PM

Here we go again, another example of the quality we have come to expect from Cardplayer updates..

Mon Aug 27 17:50:20 PDT 2007
"Miami" John Cernuto Doubles
Miami John Cernuto moves all in under the gun for 14,600, and is called by Anna Wroblewski from the big blind. Cernuto tables AJ, and Worblewski shows down KQ. The board falls AJ5310, Cernuto holds and doubles to over 31,000.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:23 AM

You need to start reading the live updates from worldpokertour.com (which is where the updates originate, like BJ Nemeth said). Here's the same hand, from their site:

[ QUOTE ]
Miami John Cernuto moves all in under the gun for 14,600, and is called by Anna Wroblewski from the big blind. Cernuto tables AJ, and Worblewski shows down KQ. The board falls A85310, Cernuto holds and doubles to over 31,000.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-28-2007, 12:53 AM

BJ,

I'm a big fan of your work. You are def. one of the best @ what you do. My post was not a knock on you, just a stale reaction from what I've seen/read so far.

If its true that it is just a feeding thing to their system can't you tell someone over there (Cardplayer) to proofread BEFORE they hit the submit button. Would save a lot of anguish on this end. Much appreciated, and I will follow via worldpokertour.com since that's where the originals are posted now. Thx.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:34 AM

the coverage seemed to improve drastically towards the end of the day. Gj BJ.