Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 06-09-2006, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Harrington on Holdem III Discussion Group

405 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
But I'm new to the forum. Great book by the way.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:58 PM

I'd answer, but I'm only up to problem 7 or so.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:06 AM

I have realized after the first two Phil Ivey problems that I have no clue how he plays. Thus my results are somewhat less impressive than Phil Ivey's. Good book though
Old 06-11-2006, 04:15 AM

I would be very interested in discussing these hands. I went through all 50 hands already, didn't actually keep score, but in quite a few instances I disagreed with Dan's suggestions. I would like to see what other 2p2ers have to say about the hands and about my thoughts on a few of them.

Also, regarding deacsoft's concern, many of the problems are well known hands from actual major tournaments, so we should be able to discuss those without infringing on copyright issues (which I'm assuming is the concern).
Old 06-11-2006, 06:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, regarding deacsoft's concern, many of the problems are well known hands from actual major tournaments, so we should be able to discuss those without infringing on copyright issues (which I'm assuming is the concern).

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember though, that copyright doesn't just exist in the expression of an idea, but it's also involved where somebody collects together a bunch of stuff, where seperately that stuff may not necessarily be copyrighted.

Therefore, posting a couple of the hands in HoH3 might be regarded as fair use, but systematically posting all/most of them, even if the form they were expressed in was paraphrased, would be infringing and would almost certainly be frowned upon.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:56 PM

I don't feel comfortable enough with my knowledge of the culture here to start the group, but I will definately participate if anyone else wants to start it. I'd even be willing to help manage it, but I would prefer someone else actually set up.

I am writing down all of my answers, but I am taking care to avoid including specifics from the book. I think you need the book to understand my answers. I am slowly posting these answers to my blog too. If Mr Harrington or anyone from 2+2 feels these violate their copyrights I will cheerfully remove them.

I am currently up to question #20. Following is my answer for #19.
===============================================
Problem #19
q19a: A
Yuck. Gus is in the hand. He offers great implied odds. But if I call then Allen will have great odds to call. But Allen's M is only 4! Allen doesn't have enough to play after the flop so if he would call then he would jam instead. I need to make 7.5 odds after the flop if I make my set. If it is just Gus and me, I need to make back 8k. Gus might give that to me, but Allen can ruin those odds. I'm going to let this one go.

Hero calls.

q19b: C
I have to call 2700. I do my 7.5 figure again. Now it is 20k. The pot has 10k so I need 10k more. If I bet while Allen is all-in, Gus is going to interpret that as a strong hand and fold (because I am not doing the check-down implicit collusion thing). But it is only a pot bet I need to get. And my 7's might hold by themselves. Still, I am leaning towards folding.

Alternatively, I could jam and try to get into a heads up situation against Allen. I actually like that idea. Gus raises with a lot of hands. I have $15k and can offer 1.6:1 odds. I also have enough to make Gus nervous. I'm going to take a shot here and jam.

Hero calls.

q19c: A
No set, no bet.

Score: 0+4+3
Old 06-11-2006, 10:50 PM

Is it just me, or does it seem like Harrington got way looser? It's as if this third addition was just to stop people from calling him a rock.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:33 AM

I would definitely be interested in a discussion group. I think there's lots of room for interpretation and other views regarding the problems.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:51 PM

scored 394, though my actual results in tournaments is more indicative of a 250 score and certainly not a 400 score.

I would be interested in any HOH discussion group if one acutally got off the ground.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:43 PM

I'm new here too but I have a question about problem 8. The player has the pot-odds to call on the turn but none of the outs are very safe. Where can I discuss this problem? (I lost 6 pts here [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img])

thx

Emmapeel