Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2005, 01:01 PM

Default Re: bottom two theory

kane is not advocating shoving the flop. he's advocating waiting til the turn and re-evaluating.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this is tough against an unknown. I usually wait for the turn,for the reasons stated and because scare cards can actually win you the pot even when you are behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that hes OOP, perhaps a scare card on the turn will slow him down enough for either option of:

a) representing a bigger hand (ie. He holds 67 and the turn is a J or Q)

b) He makes the mistake of checking (perhaps wrongfully slowplaying or legitimately concerned of a bigger hand) and you check along for the free cards, hopefully making the boat on the river.

c) Trying to get as cheap of a showdown as possible.

If he pushes me enough though, I'm out of there. Way too many hands already have me beat, might catch up to beat me and/or I'm drawing dead. I like to be the one dictating the action, and with a hand like bottom two, even if I'm in position, I don't feel comfortable enough with the situation (extremely dangerous board) to do so as aggressively as I'd like. Unknown variables such as table image (his and mine), stack size and his proceeding turn action will probably make the decision for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

thank god, a well thought out post, kudos
Old 12-31-2005, 02:21 PM

AZK f'ed up and neglected to mention this was 5-handed.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:48 PM

Do you need to open more frequently on the button in a 5 handed game versus a full ring?

I assume this is because blinds will come around more often, but I don't see how this affects your decision to openraise on the button.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:54 PM

Ive seen that dink cr from a range of different players to mean a range of different things. I don't think we have to put him on anythihng made - The range of hands he might hold includes several profitable situations.
A- 2 big of that suit.
B- Any pair + straight draw (might make your hand a big favorite if his straight draw is a gut and his pair is one of your piars)
C - Pair + flush draw. Again, since we wern't given what cards were suited on the flop this could be a favorable situation that your opponent doesn't realize isn't as strong as it looks.

D - Top pair and looking for information.

He could have the baby straight, but what a weak way to protect it on such a scary board.
He could have the big end, or as much as 3 draws (top pair, flush draw, + straight draw).
And he could have the set, but what a terribly weak way to play it.
My read on this particular situation is he has a hand he isnot confident in and wants to slow you down on further streets. Obviously thats more of an educated guess and he is just as likely to have other hands in the reasonable range of hands.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:34 PM

When you get CMR'd on a flop like that with bottom two, I think there is a very good chance your hand is no good from the start. As a result, I don't think a scare card really hurts you at all. If anything, it probably helps to better define your opponent's hand and/or get you a cheaper showdown.

I would just call and let his turn play define his hand and act accordingly.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AZK f'ed up and neglected to mention this was 5-handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

same response from me.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:10 AM

yeti: what you do here chuddo?
me: call man. take a peep.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:20 AM

AZK, I believe your a good player....and with that many big blinds its a tough decision between smooth calling and seeing the turn and 3 betting, you can get away with 3 betting because u are deep enough....I like this better than smooth calling and waiting for a safe card. Obviously because its easier to get away from the hand. If you smooth call and a 2 comes on the turn and he leads hard...theres really no way im folding that hand the way it was played out. This leads me back to stating your a player, you need to evaluate the person first..if online its a lot tougher to do I understand the difficulty. In this scenario it really depends on how the opponent perserves you. If you have been active..i'd stick it in let him draw. Good luck
Old 01-01-2006, 08:25 AM

FU all then.

I stick in. He calls.

Turn Q. River 3s. [censored]!

Oh wait, A7o no good, kids!