Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Re: NL25 KK prefl. shove

If you have a maniac image then this may work. Otherwise I would like to see a flop.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:18 PM

This is a bad play unless you run like 50/45. I'm just going to leave it at that.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:26 PM

My apologies if this comes off as a flame, but this play is all kinds of terrible in my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
--> any other reraise size should be big enough to provide against setminers, that is, it´s big enough to fold out most JJ-/TT- hands, plus
--> If he has AA, he´d be coming over the top, and I have to call because the remote posibility of AK in his hand makes this correct, the game being only slightly deeper than 100BB
--> as he´s gonna get me all in with AA anyway, I´d like to focus on gettin the most out of AK and QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shoving here helps your opponents play perfectly and is weak-minded thinking. They no longer have a tough decision of calling your preflop raise with a pocket pair without the proper odds or folding, or bluff-raising with the same pocket pair, etc. They now have the easy decision of calling your all-in with AA or properly folding.

The most likely outcome here is you risk a Thanksgiving dinner to win a big mac and fries with your monster hand.

Poker is about winning money, not pots.

[ QUOTE ]
--> I´ve been experimenting with shoving w/ AK for a while, and it´s completly amazing what kind of calls you see. Specificaly AK seems to call a lot.
--> and specificaly AK might be hard to melk postflop, as the very last King would have to flop for that.
--> I´m not sure how much value I am loosing against QQ. I´m not shoving here against a bad player, who´s gonna get stacked w/ QQ overpair. But here, the villain probably is a multitabling abc regular who doesn´t necesarrily get stacked if his Queens see a nice flop. And... doesn´t my play like I am getting crazy w/ AK rather than KK?

[/ QUOTE ]

Open-shoving may work at NL25, and if it really does more often than not, then go for it. You're stunting your growth as a poker player, though, since most of the money made by good players is postflop where opponents make "bigger" mistakes.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My apologies if this comes off as a flame

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all, fair enough.

Thanks everyone, I learned from it.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:26 AM

--> as he´s gonna get me all in with AA anyway, I´d like to focus on gettin the most out of AK and QQ.

you're gonna get a lot of action from ak,qq this way.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:01 AM

Full stacks are calling this from behind approximately never (I sheepishly admit to trying it before in the past) You need a *very* good player specific reason to do it, basically either your or his table image has to be "total maniac".