Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Poker After Dark thread (10/8 - Mega Match)

[ QUOTE ]
incredible rudness

[/ QUOTE ]MAD Skills there
Old 10-12-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does this bother anyone else? Elezra's first name is Eli, rhyming with "wheel-eye." His friends -- Harman, Beyamine, Greenstein, along with Farha and Doyle Brunson (on HSP) refer to him as eee-lie. But announcers such as Benza, Kaplan, Nejad, and even Shana in her intro, keep saying it like it rhymes with "belly." OMG announcers please get it right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a customer that has lived in Israel, since Eli comes from Israel I asked my customer how the name "Eli" would be pronounced. He assured me that he proper Israel pronunciation would be the one that rhymes with belly.

Maybe Eli uses either, but when announcers have asked him how it should be pronounced he told them - so they stick to the correct pronunciation, even if his friends and acquaintances don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I posted on this a while back. Eli (as in Belly) is the way that every Eli I have ever known has pronounced it.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf, is shana tryin to bone doyle or something? she's sweatin him so hard

[/ QUOTE ]
I think she's just doing her job. Or something.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I don't think Barry G. was ignoring Eli on purpose. It's just easy to come across like that when you're with someone you know really well, which was obviously the case with Ivey and Barry G.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the way i took it, also. Barry and Phil are obviously very good friends and they are sitting next to each other, so they are being quite chatty. I actually like seeing both of them different than they usually are (quiet, somber).
Old 10-12-2007, 04:21 PM

The constant Ram jabs are hilarious! There's been like 5 different references now!
Old 10-12-2007, 04:45 PM

I am friends with all of the other players, but Phil and I are closer so it's normal for us to needle each other. I thought people would appreciate seeing this side of Phil, so I intentionally engaged him.

All of us like Allen and he does occasionally play in the side games with us, but he is not the kind of person I would needle on national television. (And Melissa would track me down!)

I don't think I ignored anyone, but, remember, this is edited and they probably wanted to get as much Ivey banter as they could get.

If I were to apologize to the viewers, it would be for too much prop talk. I assumed most of that would have been edited out.

This was filmed when the golf disagreement was in its most intense phase, otherwise we wouldn't have kept bringing that up.

Barry
Old 10-12-2007, 05:02 PM

Some of you guys are either dumb or stupid. Barry wasnt trying to box anyone out and make buddy buddy with Phil. If you have been around these forums at all the past few years, you will see Barry makes every attempt to show us what we the forum has asked for. Do you realize how many tv appearances Ivey has ben on and hardly said one word? Do you realize how many 2+2'ers have expressed they wished Ivey would talk more to see whats on his mind or what hes like?

Barry was simply trying to give us what we wanted once again, by engaging Phil and having him open up a little. And as for the comments about him boxing out the other players, Eli and Alan are barely saying anything. Whenever Alan does talk Ivey always pays attention cause he is the closest to him. Barry and Phil have nothing but respect for all the other players at the table, and if you guys cant see that, you are watching a different show than I am.
Thanks Barry!

EDIT: I see Barry beat me to this post. I started posting and had to stop for a few minutes due to getting heads up.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I posted on this a while back. Eli (as in Belly) is the way that every Eli I have ever known has pronounced it.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK I stand corrected. But for the record, every Eli I've known (they've all been Jewish, as is Elezra) has pronounced it the other way. And then there's Eli Manning of the NY Giants too.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK I stand corrected. But for the record, every Eli I've known (they've all been Jewish, as is Elezra) has pronounced it the other way. And then there's Eli Manning of the NY Giants too.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a Jewish thing. For the most part, it's an Israeli thing.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am friends with all of the other players, but Phil and I are closer so it's normal for us to needle each other. I thought people would appreciate seeing this side of Phil, so I intentionally engaged him.

All of us like Allen and he does occasionally play in the side games with us, but he is not the kind of person I would needle on national television. (And Melissa would track me down!)

I don't think I ignored anyone, but, remember, this is edited and they probably wanted to get as much Ivey banter as they could get.

If I were to apologize to the viewers, it would be for too much prop talk. I assumed most of that would have been edited out.

This was filmed when the golf disagreement was in its most intense phase, otherwise we wouldn't have kept bringing that up.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

TV poker talk isn't all-needle all the time. Seems like you could talk to Allen without necessarily needling him. There are subtle social things that go on in public places. So you're friendly with Allen, but not friendly enough to talk to him, look at him, or acknowledge his existence?

Cunningham is as big a mystery as Ivey is. You're closer to Ivey, so you talked more to him, no problem. You were also showing that you're as much of an alpha dog as Ivey is by dominating the conversation and holding his attention.