Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 11-29-2007, 04:58 PM

Default A hand I read about

I was poking around on another website and came across a blog from a well-known TV pro. He was describing a hand that he played recently in the $40-$80 game at the Bike in LA. Here's the hand:

[ QUOTE ]
I raised with pocket 99's and was three bet by Kevin who was in late position. Everyone folded and I called and we took the flop heads up. The flop fell 8/8/5 with two diamonds. I check, Kevin bet, I raised and he called. The turn brought the Jack of diamonds making three to a flush on board and I led out. To my surprise Kevin raised me. I called. The river was a King of clubs and again I led out into Kevin showing no weakness and without hesitating he raised me again! Well, at this point the only weakness he showed was flat calling my flop check-raise so I comfortably mucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm posting this here because I don't understand Hero's play on the turn or river and wonder if I'm just missing something.

Does anyone else bet/fold the turn? If we're calling the turn raise (if we had the 9d), why wouldn't we c/c or c/f the river as opposed to b/f?
Old 11-29-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Re: A hand I read about

i don't really understand what's going on there unless there's a lot of metagame/history, which it seems like. but, i'm not a well-known tv pro, so... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was poking around on another website and came across a blog from a well-known TV pro. He was describing a hand that he played recently in the $40-$80 game at the Bike in LA. Here's the hand:

[ QUOTE ]
I raised with pocket 99's and was three bet by Kevin who was in late position. Everyone folded and I called and we took the flop heads up. The flop fell 8/8/5 with two diamonds. I check, Kevin bet, I raised and he called. The turn brought the Jack of diamonds making three to a flush on board and I led out. To my surprise Kevin raised me. I called. The river was a King of clubs and again I led out into Kevin showing no weakness and without hesitating he raised me again! Well, at this point the only weakness he showed was flat calling my flop check-raise so I comfortably mucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm posting this here because I don't understand Hero's play on the turn or river and wonder if I'm just missing something.

Does anyone else bet/fold the turn? If we're calling the turn raise (if we had the 9d), why wouldn't we c/c or c/f the river as opposed to b/f?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. The television pro played that hand like the wierdo's I posted about. No rhyme or reason to how he played. This is why I like Roy Cooke. Whether you agree with his play or not, he lists the pros and cons of the plays he makes and why he believes certain factors weigh heavier in certain situations than others.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:08 PM

the hand certainly makes more sense if it's the Kd. Ya some meta stuff going to here.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:33 PM

Basically he has no idea what his river bet is trying to accomplish.

-DeathDonkey
Old 11-29-2007, 09:40 PM

not really surprising that a tv pro played this hand like a retard

i dont know what a kevin is but calling down from the turn raise can be fine against the sort of idiot that will randomly charge themselves to draw to a flush with AQ/AK with a diamond that exist all over LA.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:30 PM

care to say which TV pro?
Old 11-30-2007, 12:50 AM

Funny, I was sitting on TV pro's right and watched him play this hand. I didn't get it then either. He said he was going to write about it. Wow.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
not really surprising that a tv pro played this hand like a retard

i dont know what a kevin is but calling down from the turn raise can be fine against the sort of idiot that will randomly charge themselves to draw to a flush with AQ/AK with a diamond that exist all over LA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you ever consider chekcing the turn b/c it seems this guy will raise a lot of hands as a semibluff and we hate calling down.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the hand certainly makes more sense if it's the Kd. Ya some meta stuff going to here.

[/ QUOTE ]

if the river is the kd then he should be c/f'ing b/c theres almost no hand that kevin can have that we beat