Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 10:51 AM

Default Georgia drought - The Last Resort

Make it rain

Could all of you please join us on Tuesday to help bring some rain to Atlanta? We are in a pretty severe drought and I guess we have done all we humanly can do.

From the article:

[ QUOTE ]
"The only solution is rain, and the only place we get that is from a higher power," Perdue spokesman Bert Brantley said on Wednesday.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are using state funds to print and send invitations and I am sure that the event will have some administrative costs that are not stated.

How can this possibly happen? I mean, on one hand, if you elect someone over and over again who is a known Bible thumper I guess you could expect this, but an organized prayer, on government property, at taxpayer expense? Are you f-ing serious?
Old 11-09-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Georgia drought - The Last Resort

You don't know much about Georgia, do you.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you?
Old 11-09-2007, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What? I live in Atlanta. Geographical location should have no bearing on the appropriateness of this. Bible belt or not.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What? I live in Atlanta. Geographical location should have no bearing on the appropriateness of this. Bible belt or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point precisely. This labeling of southern people as dumb rednecks thing gets old, particularly when you hear it as often as I do.

Back on topic, this is rather ridiculous. I do support Perdue's continued fight with Bob Riley and the Army COE to stop the draining of Lanier. What are your opinions on that?
Old 11-09-2007, 11:36 AM

That's pretty ignorant and defeatist of this guy to state that the only solution is prayer. I wonder if he really believes this and had just given up on trying to find other means to supply his constituents with water.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My point precisely. This labeling of southern people as dumb rednecks thing gets old, particularly when you hear it as often as I do.

Back on topic, this is rather ridiculous. I do support Perdue's continued fight with Bob Riley and the Army COE to stop the draining of Lanier. What are your opinions on that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really dont know. Reading through some stuff it seems like this was a serious concern in the 90's, when there were plans to build state water reservoirs in the state that got shot down due to developers complaining. Similar ideas were nixed in 03 and 04 too.

I dont know that AL and FL should suffer because GA leaders were not smart enough to realize that insane growth would lead to shortages at some point.

And there is at least some argument that the drought is overstated: linky

I mean, it sucks for us living here, but I dont know that we have the right to cut off water to places that we have agreements with, even if they are tenuous.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shttt. I know shttt's bad right now, with all that starving [censored], and the dust storms, and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe their just not giving the plants what they need, electrolytes?
Old 11-09-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm FROM GEORGIA (And not Atlanta either - I'm talking middle of redneckville, GA)

I am absolutely not surprised by this, which is why I said what I said. The fact of the matter, the VAST MAJORITY of this state's population not only doesn't care that he's doing this, but he'll probably get re-elected BECAUSE of actions such as this. Sure he'll alienate and frustrate some, but for the most part he's right in line with his constituents.

Anyway, sorry for the derailment.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really dont know. Reading through some stuff it seems like this was a serious concern in the 90's, when there were plans to build state water reservoirs in the state that got shot down due to developers complaining. Similar ideas were nixed in 03 and 04 too.

I dont know that AL and FL should suffer because GA leaders were not smart enough to realize that insane growth would lead to shortages at some point.

And there is at least some argument that the drought is overstated: linky

I mean, it sucks for us living here, but I dont know that we have the right to cut off water to places that we have agreements with, even if they are tenuous.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I understand, a lot of the water they plan on cutting off would not be used by the public. A good portion of that water was used to sustain ecological environments, which while important, does not seem as urgent as sustaining the water needs of the people.

This could have been mis-represented by our officials in an effort to get what they wanted, though.