So this in no way irritates you'?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=89mEJXU00...ed&search=

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does. But I'll watch..........
Old 10-12-2007, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Ask Me About Being a Weatherman

[ QUOTE ]
Nice thread

Do you ever recieve death threats or get a pissed off look from your boss if the forecast is crappy?

Do family memebers call you up and ask "hey hows the weather over there?"

part B - do they ever really call for forecasts

Have you ever predicted something first or more accuratly then other people (like say a super duper snow storm that really is just going to be a flurry or Noah and his ark will be floating past anyminute when others called for a sprinkle)

When you look to the sky and see a cloud do you go "Hey that looks like a bunny!" or "Hey thats Altostratus!"

[/ QUOTE ]

A:

1. Absolutely not. He doesn't know [censored] about the weather, and I've been pretty accurate so far.

2. Yes, they do, but just the same as they always have. My Grandpa is a science buff, so we like to chat the physics of weather sometimes.

B:

1. Yes, once in a while that happens, and let me tell you, it feels better than sex.

2. I always do the latter. It drives my wife and my friends nuts. I can't believe that they don't want to learn about cloud types!
Old 10-12-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My name is Ari

[/ QUOTE ]

"yes, the name rhymes"

You're just doing this to drive traffic to your bio, aren't you? Part of the master plan to move up in the weather world?

Srsly, how's the "exotic food" in West Central Ohio?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

There is none. I'd be surprised to find a fresh fish market. For a food/wine buff like me, it gives me more initiative to move up...The salary doesn't help either as far as being able to afford nice dinners and exotic foods.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stephanie or paula?

ever had this happen to you while on the air? (cockroach attack)

btw good thread. i liked the dylan response.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh..... Paula just cuz I work with her every day, and I like brunettes.

No, but we had a humungous hairy spider in the studio the other day... seriously looked like a baby tarantula.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the Spritz nipper this week?

[/ QUOTE ]

tartar sauce.... man id like to stick my face in that....
Old 10-12-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Did you have any involvement with Weather Central while in Madison? (This is a data and graphics company that supplies equipment to television stations around the country.)

2) How many students were in your graduating class at Wisconsin?

3) How did you find this first job in Lima?

4) As you move along in a television news career, what type of arrangement do you have with your wife on the decision making?

5) Are there any co-workers in Lima that have been there a very long time, unable to find that next job and move up the ladder?

6) Have you ever heard any industry talk on the future of television news? I am referring to the internet and vod changing the way people get news, especially weather forecasts any time of the day or night.

7) When all your co-workers say in their bio how much they love Lima - what percentage of them are flat out lying?

8) How would you say you are different from other meteorologists with your level of experience?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Yes, at my internship, they used that system (Yes, I know what it is... lol)

2. 25 of us. Only 3 of us went into broadcasting. The rest were research nuts.... man, I can't imagine doing that for a living....

3. Sent application, got callback, interviewed, moved.

4. Well decision making as a whole is split. We have a very good relationship. My job will have to dictate where we live, and she understands that. She's along for the ride.

5. Only one guy, Jeff Fitzgerald has been here for like 25 years or so... but that's because he's a local guy, and the people love him. He wants to stay... I'm sure he could have been in a bigger market a long long time ago.

6. Well weather especially has been expanding... we now have television stations that broadcast national weather and local weather all day... like accuweather, weather plus, and that kind of thing.

7. Probably all of them.

8. I have way less experience than most out there... I just started, and I'm only 21. But, that said, I probably have more raw weather knowledge than 80% of the people you get your weather from on TV.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the things that drives me nuts is that one of our local guys likes to talk about "here's what I'm forcasting" or "this is my forcast" when I assume he's just using the same infor/forcast everybody else is.

Am I wrong, or is he an egotistcal mustache having POS?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say that you're right about half the time here. The "weather anchors" who just broadcast the weather (not real meteorologists) that say "my or "I'm" are a joke.

But a degreed meteorologist uses many tools and a vast knowledge of weather and weather patterns to come up with an individual forecast.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you predict rain on the days you want to golf?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but maybe when I move to a bigger market and have a salary capable of paying for golf, I'll think about it.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the Boston market we had this cute weather girl named Chikage Windler. Do you know her and is that her real name.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know of her, but it is very frequent for broadcasters to have a stage name if their last name sucks or whatever. FWIW, I use my real name.

Frequently they'll take their middle name and add an "s" to the end, then use that as their last name. Maybe I should use a stage name... my last name sucks. But I don't have a middle name....
Old 10-12-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever heard the phrase "You have the only job where you can be consistently wrong, yet still have a job"?

[/ QUOTE ]

All the [censored] time. Everyone thinks its so funny, and I thought so too, the first 1000 times I heard it. This has to be the most common response I get after telling people what I do.