Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Un-Ban Poster \'MyTurn2Raise\'

Source thread: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=9084287

In daryn's OP he did claim that QFTs were forbidden in that thread. In what may have been a poor decision, MT2R did QTF the OP.

I don't necesarrily disagree with daryn's right to enforce some punishment for the QFT, but I very strongly disagree that his rights should extend to prohibitting a valued strat poster from contributing to the strat forums.

OOT's relationship to the strat forums is unique. Many people -- myself included -- might make the argument that the heart and soul of 2p2 is the strat forums, and the other forums simply exist to support the viability of those forums. The relationship is a little more complex than that, since one of the main functions of 2p2.com is to generate revenue for 2p2 LLC. Because OOT has so much traffic, it has monetary value of its own.

However, that doesn't change the fact that the reason why the 2p2.com forums exist in the first place is to provide a place to debate poker strategy. OOT does not serve that purpose. Since OOT is tangential to the original function of the 2p2.com forums, and because the rules in that forum are often arbitrary or created with the sole purpose of increasing site hits (OOT Survivor, for example), the enforcement of OOT-rules should not impact a poster's capability to participate in strat forums.

The OOT '*' system was instantiated in recognition of the relationship between OOT & the strat forums, in fact. In that regard, the '*' and related systems are a good way to seperate enforcing OOT rules from enforcing strat participation. If the '*' system doesn't work for OOT anymore for whatever reason, then another system needs to be created so that when a valued strat poster QFT's an OOT thread, that poster isn't banned for 2 weeks.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Un-Ban Poster \'MyTurn2Raise\'

I think my opinion is clear.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think my opinion is clear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's not to me. Since the OP is no longer accessible, I can't research it.

Please briefly re-state?

Edit: Ok, so I didn't notice your LOC. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Nevermind.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:58 PM

To me, writing QFT is absolutely no different than quoting a post and adding "I agree with this post completely." One now seems to be against the rules, while the other is apparently ok.

Edit: I guess they are different. One makes daryn cranky, the other doesn't, apparently. So that's a bannable offense now?
Old 02-07-2007, 02:59 PM

I unbanned MyTurn2Raise.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I unbanned MyTurn2Raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you very much, Mat.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:06 PM

Grunch,

Just think back to high school. Did the cool kid and jock clique that ran the social life there accept the vast majority of the math & science "geeks"? The answer is no.

Are the vast majority of players who post in OOT exceptional poker players with a strong grounding in poker theory and math, or are they mediocre players dependant on software aids and hyper multi-tabling to have a win in poker? The answer is the latter.

But those mediocre player posters of course don't wish to admit their mediocrity, and form a cool poster clique here and demand all conform to the social emphasis that they wish to impose on this site instead of the strategy emphasis better players wish for it, and they have their mediocre mods to impose the clique-ish discipline. And those mediocre mods try to imitate <font color="green">[censored]</font>'s outward style of moderation he had in OOT, but are lacking in his good judgement, which recognizes it is wrong to ban good strat posters from all forums, instead of just the cool kid clique forums for trangressions. Thus you have the results you protest against in your OP.

Edited to add: thanks Mat for not upholding the bad judgement of one of your mods.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:06 PM

Mat,

Nick B. de-greened because of this situation? Confirm/deny?
Old 02-07-2007, 03:07 PM

Honestly, I support the ban, and don't like that Mat undid it.

Don't misunderstand me, I think MyTurn2Raise is a fantastic poster, but when a mod says "don't do X or you'll be banned" and he then does it just be dumb, he should be forced to live with the consequences of his actions.

Ray
Old 02-07-2007, 03:09 PM

Not because of this specifically, but his ongoing personal attacks on me and other admins, including today's, resulted in the demodding.
Closed Thread