Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Overplayed AA. When to stop?

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

Hero (SB): $10.30
BB: $10.05
UTG: $10.20
CO: $1.80
BTN: $9.85

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $0.35</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.15</font>, BB folds, BTN calls $0.80

Flop: ($2.40) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2.00</font>, BTN calls $2.00

Turn: ($6.40) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $2.10</font>, Hero calls $2.10

River: ($10.60) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $2.10</font>, Hero calls $2.10

Pot Size: $14.80 ($1 Rake)

BTN had K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (a flush, Ace high) and WON (+$6.45)
Hero had A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (two pair, Aces and Queens) and LOST (-$7.35)

With the strong calling, I assumed him for a hand, but with the little bets that were returned to me, I was tempted to call. Should I have stopped on turn, when a three-flush hit the board? I know I gave him horrible odds and he still made the call, so I am a winner up until that point... What would be the smartest play in this scenario?
Old 08-18-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Overplayed AA. When to stop?

Well...on the odds part, I don't believe you gave him horrible odds with AKs. AKs is a very decent hand against the blinds. However, I would've probably bet larger on the flop, to try to get rid of the flush draw. And, if you put him on a hand (considering that he called your pfr), and called your flop bet, I would be getting out on the turn as soon as that club hit and he bet out. If you called the turn, the river call is really not good. Now he could've had a Q and had you beat.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:01 PM

I'm betting bigger on the turn and calling a shove.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:05 PM

It's hard to say if the opponent is unknown. But you probably gotta assume that he's on some sort of draw if he called your pot sized flop bet (either he's got one pair already or he's got a flush draw). Then he became aggressive on the third club so I would just give it up there - he's not going to be betting half the pot with QAh. I think I would have folded on the turn, although it would feel really [censored].
Old 08-18-2007, 06:25 PM

Never heard being a calling station refered to "over playing" a hand before.

He let you off cheaply.
Be glad.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's hard to say if the opponent is unknown. But you probably gotta assume that he's on some sort of draw if he called your pot sized flop bet (either he's got one pair already or he's got a flush draw). Then he became aggressive on the third club so I would just give it up there - he's not going to be betting half the pot with QAh. I think I would have folded on the turn, although it would feel really [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
One, You played it well given the hand results. But you should be leading that turn for value. His range is wider than just a made flush.
Two, Slowing down and playing it passively is fine. Villain gave you incredible odds to call down.
It was a 3bet pot. A flush draw doesn't make up as much of his range as big pairs, AQ+ do on the flop (and TJ makes up even less of his range).
Old 08-18-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he's not going to be betting half the pot with QAh.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is if he knows you'll check/fold Aces every time a scare card hits.

As for the hand, I like leading on the turn and folding to a big raise better than just calling down. But given the size of his bets, it could be a TPTK kind of hand that's just as scared of the flush as you are.