Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 01:28 AM

Default Dealing with poker stalkers

Unfortunately, my poker stalker will probably find this post, but so be it, I'm letting him know soon enough.

This guy really creeps me out. Backstory is that we went to the same college and played in some of the same live tournaments there. We talked on AIM for a period of time as acquaintances, mostly poker-related, and I hung out with him once. It was ultra-awkward and when I decided to play in a tournament instead of the possibility of going to a basketball game with him, he flipped out on me.

When I started posting on a poker forum (not this one) and he saw it, he joined a month or two later. He made a online journal after seeing mine. He stalked me on Stars and commented on hands he saw me play without telling me he was sweating. I made an exclusively-poker blog for a class and he made one soon after and linked me (though in fairness I did advertise it on a forum we were both on). Now he signed up for the site I played on now, made a handle very similar to mine, sat in on my game and then posted hands I played in his blog and commented on them (I posted one hand involving him in my blog, but I didn't use his name or the tournament it was in if that's any consolation).

I suppose this is innocent in nature, but this really freaks me out and even though he doesn't get a ton of hits on his blog, I'm just creeped out by the entire ordeal. Also I'd worry about the poker site in question thinking we're colluding or that I'm multi-accounting. So beyond telling him to stop shadowing me/writing about me in his blog (not that I have a right to tell him what to write about, it's teh internet), any other advice?
Old 08-09-2007, 02:22 AM

Default Re: Dealing with poker stalkers

Sounds pretty innocent to me like you said. Also seems like you've never let him know that what he is doing is bothering you, that might be the first step...
Old 08-09-2007, 02:26 AM

Passive/aggressive much? Instead of actually telling this guy that what he's doing pisses you off, you just make a post on a forum that you both read hoping he'll take the hint and you'll never have to deal with a confrontation? Pretty weak move IMO.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Passive/aggressive much? Instead of actually telling this guy that what he's doing pisses you off, you just make a post on a forum that you both read hoping he'll take the hint and you'll never have to deal with a confrontation? Pretty weak move IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you read the OP? I contacted him about this and how I was unhappy about the situation. Read better plz.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:54 AM

This situation seems incredibly harmless. He just has a little internet mancrush on you. Ain't nothin wrong with that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2007, 12:19 PM

Challenge him to a NL HU match for it ALL

If you win, then you banish him forever and he must agree.
If he wins, then you must be his best buddy for 5 years.

Good luck

and to your stalker: Sup Bro?
Old 08-09-2007, 02:15 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

I contacted him about this and how I was unhappy about the situation. Read better plz.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see where you rote this in your post.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:29 AM

If his actions make you feel uncomfortable, you MUST tell him so. He'll either stop or he won't. If he stops, hopefully it's for good.

If he doesn't stop following you around online/on sites, perhaps you should email the site(s), explain that you're being followed/stalked by this guy (and include his username), and request a username change. Do something before there is any possibility of escalation.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose this is innocent in nature, ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds creepy-weirdo to me. Like a movie with Rebecca DeMornay.

I wonder if you contacted PStars support and told them this story, if they would make an exception and let you change your handle? They did for me when I had two accounts before it became a big deal. You might just ask them for advice. Or see if someone has an account you can use, or open one in your mother's name.

Blogging. You could have one of those private blogs where people have to ask to be admitted.

Friends of mine, the wife is being stalked in a similar creepy way by a guy they rented an apartment to and hired to do some maintenance work. He's a gambler - as in addict. Been banned from Foxwoods, though we aren't sure why. Ended up getting about 20 grand out of them.

GL with this -
Old 08-11-2007, 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I contacted him about this and how I was unhappy about the situation. Read better plz.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see where you rote this in your post.

[/ QUOTE ]

me either.