Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Re: thinktank says US will owe $100 billion

Various games were discussed in the WTO opinions JP, but I cant recall where they specifically defined "gambling." I know the original agreement has no specific definition of "gambling services."

Just because everyone assumes it means certain things, doesnt necessarily mean those assumptions are true.

Mr. Cohen is the expert here, and I will deffer to him or anyone else who can show me a WTO definition of what is or is not gambling. But I see no reason why, for example, the US could not ban all online gambling and rule that poker is not "gambling." Hell, why cant we declare it a "sport" like they did in Russia?

Skallagrim
Old 10-16-2007, 05:33 PM

Fuether out of complaince in the sense that they either need to allow access to Antiguan companies or eliminate all remote gambling. They would be adding one more type, but maybe it's like being more pregnant. Who knows?

Besides they would still have remote sports wagering in Nevada which completely obliterates any argument against sports.

Antigua would not need to start another case, just go back to a complaince panel. It would take three to six months from start to finish and I am confident the US would still be found out of compliance.

In the meantime, the Antiguan sanctions would be moving forward.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:05 PM

Skall, I read the panel and appellate reports. It's true that they did not specifically mention poker, but fantasy sports were mentioned and included as gambling. I read that as an indication of a very broad definition.
Maybe poker would not be gambling, but a skill game, which is fine with me.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:26 AM

where are you guys getting that anyone in the world will be allowed to violate USA IP if the USA doesnt comply with this ruling?
Old 10-17-2007, 01:39 AM

http://www.antiguawto.com/WTOListPg.html

See entry #73:

Pursuant to Article 22.2 of the WTO’s Understanding on Rules and Procedures Governing the Settlement of Disputes (the “DSU”), Antigua and Barbuda requests authorization from the DSB to suspend the application to the United States of concessions and related obligations of Antigua and Barbuda under the General Agreement on Trade in Services (the “GATS”) and the Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (the “TRIPS”).

Summary of Countermeasures Because the withdrawal of concessions solely under the GATS is at present not practicable or effective, and the circumstances are sufficiently serious to justify Antigua and Barbuda exercising its rights under Article 22, Antigua and Barbuda requests authorization to suspend concessions and other obligations under the TRIPS. For the reasons given above, Antigua and Barbuda intends to take countermeasures in the form of suspension of concessions and obligations under the following sections of Part II of the TRIPS: Section 1: Copyright and related rights Section 2: Trademarks Section 4: Industrial designs Section 5: Patents Section 7: Protection of undisclosed information
Old 10-17-2007, 07:45 PM

Jay,

Where do you see things headed now?
Old 10-18-2007, 09:38 PM

I just want to make sure I am getting this correct. There is no more room for objections from the USA. They are already found guilty of failure to comply. Now, the WTO is go decide the rate and terms of compensation awarded to Antigua?

Given this precedent, how long will it take for other countries to also seek compensation for the USA government.

What happens if the US refuses to honor the Arbitrators conclusions?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:09 PM

The WTO is an agreement. Its not up to the US to "honor" the obligations. Antigua will just simply ignore their previous agreement to honor copyrights and patents. And our other trading partners will buy it. Its not like we have to hand over $ or secrets. I guess Bush could invade if he wanted to to stop it. Im not really sure Bush even cares or particularily knows about this beyond authorizing his Christaminions to do as they see fit. I mean he does get to bed by 9PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just want to make sure I am getting this correct. There is no more room for objections from the USA. They are already found guilty of failure to comply. Now, the WTO is go decide the rate and terms of compensation awarded to Antigua?

Given this precedent, how long will it take for other countries to also seek compensation for the USA government.

What happens if the US refuses to honor the Arbitrators conclusions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to make predictions here.

Your first statement is pretty accurate. The present panel will determine the amount and type of sanction. There is no appeal of this panel or any of the earlier ones that have already ruled against the US.

As far as other countries go, they would have to bring their own cases. So far none have shown the mettle to do so. In the meantime the US is trying to withdraw their commitment in the sector so they can put this to bed.

The sanctions are for the panel to determine and Antigua to take. The US can only stop them if they come into compliance. I suspect they would have to convince another compliance panel that they are in compliance if they actually did anything half way. I don't think Antigua is obligated to take them at their word.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You know nothing about economics, obviously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only macro and micro economics at university level, a quite bit beyond the 101 stuff you get in college.

So I guess that you teach post grad economics? Or hold a doctorate in economics? Or?

[/ QUOTE ]

You lamented that the weakening dollar will hurt the United States' ability to export. It's the opposite. When the dollar is weaker, that means other currencies are stronger. Thus, other countries, as well as their businesses and residents, can afford to buy more U.S. goods and services. Thus, U.S. exports increase and the trade deficit shrinks. Of course, there are negatives to a weaker dollar, but it's not all bad.

If I'm completely wrong, I will not take offense to being corrected. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]