Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2007, 11:54 AM

Default PC FPS gamers: WASD vs Arrows

I am pretty good at FPS games, i've been playing for over 10 years & i am definetly not a nub. i have been using arrow setup ever since my Rainbow 6 days, and to me it seems like arrow setup is superior to the WASD setup that most FPS come with nowadays.

One of my dislikes of WASD is that it is around many identical keys, therefore there is always the chance to mash keys that you didn't intend to in the heat of combat, as well as getting completely lost on the keyboard after getting attacked while typing.

I find that with the arrow keys none of these problems exist, each button is easy to find in relation to the arrows, as well as nearly all of them are supported in all games.

With the arrow keys you have three separate groups of keys to use which are nearly impossible to get lost in, the Page up page down group of six is aligned in a grid of six (Not the offset grid of WASD, but an actual grid), the backspace area has a row of five uniquely sized keys which are impossible to confuse, and the numberpad keys (7, 4, 1, 0, others for more oscure functions) are easy to find, 7 is across from pagedown, four is below that, zero is the large key directly to the left of the left arrow and one is above that.

They're all very very easy to find, this is great for allowing you to forget you're merely controlling a character on a screen with some buttons.

I don't see the reason why everyone uses WASD setup. There is greater room for error having all those buttons close to each other and not aligned.

WASD
Pros:
more buttons available near your hand
more ergonomical placement for your hands
cons:
easy to lose your positioning on the keys
easy to accidently confuse buttons or accidently push ones you dont want to.

Arrows
Pros:
buttons are perfectly aligned with space in between them, so getting confused or lost is nearly impossible, and reaching for buttons is alot easier.
More than enough buttons available near your hand for most FPS games.
Cons:
have to move keyboard to make it comfortable for your hands.

Heres a sample setup i have for COD4 using arrows:

arrows are for movement of course
on the 6 buttons above arrows:
Del= reload
end= crouch
Insert=lean left
Home=lean right
Page down=prone
Shift=sprint
enter=function (old F key)
\ = throw grenade
ctrl=Knife (also middle mouse button)
numberkeys on num pad (except 0) = weapons
0 on numpad=jump

And i have many other buttons for other controls.

As you can see this scheme allows all these buttons to be right around your hand.

Try it out, i find its much better for FPS.