Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Driving from LA to Vegas

Hi all,

I just made my reservations for Vegas for Labor Day weekend. I usually avoid busy 3 day weekends, but a bunch of friends are going, so its gonna be a fun weekend.

Unfortunately I have to drive on Friday Night and I'm trying to avoid the 6 to 8 hour traffic jam that is the 10 to the 15 route.

I've heard about this route where you can go through downtown, then take the 2 to 134 to 210 to 15.

Has anyone taken this route? Any recommendations on a better one?

I live on the westside if it makes a difference in the route.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Driving from LA to Vegas

i took that route from Pasadena this past weekend, the 210 was traffic free. I dont know if it saved me any extra time by avoiding LA traffic, but by the time you get to the 15 I think there will still be a lot of vehicles traveling to Vegas anyway.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:29 PM

All things equal, the 210 is much better than the 10. The 10's carpool lane only stretches for about 5 miles and doesn't really help. The 210's carpool goes from Pasadena to the 15 so that would really help. That said, you're travelling on a Friday before a 3-day weekend, so many additional variables will be in play.

What time are you leaving? If you're leaving from the Westside at 6/7pm or after, you should be ok, relatively speaking (since everyone would have been on the road from 3pm and on).

You can do the 5-2-134-210 combo. However, the 2 and 5 portions could really be backed up. If you're going to go through downtown anyway, a better bet is to take the 110 North all the way to Pasadena, get on local streets for about 1 mile and then back on the 210.

Other options include the 405-101-134-210 (probably not a good idea), or through Laurel Canyon etc.

Heading east out of LA shouldn't be that bad. The worst part of traffic is the 15 north in the Ontario/Devour area. It is ALWAYS backed up here! Reason being is that tons of big rigs come through here and they can't make it up hill, so everyone slows down.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All things equal, the 210 is much better than the 10. The 10's carpool lane only stretches for about 5 miles and doesn't really help. The 210's carpool goes from Pasadena to the 15 so that would really help. That said, you're travelling on a Friday before a 3-day weekend, so many additional variables will be in play.

What time are you leaving? If you're leaving from the Westside at 6/7pm or after, you should be ok, relatively speaking (since everyone would have been on the road from 3pm and on).

You can do the 5-2-134-210 combo. However, the 2 and 5 portions could really be backed up. If you're going to go through downtown anyway, a better bet is to take the 110 North all the way to Pasadena, get on local streets for about 1 mile and then back on the 210.

Other options include the 405-101-134-210 (probably not a good idea), or through Laurel Canyon etc.

Heading east out of LA shouldn't be that bad. The worst part of traffic is the 15 north in the Ontario/Devour area. It is ALWAYS backed up here! Reason being is that tons of big rigs come through here and they can't make it up hill, so everyone slows down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be leaving around 7pm. I've made the 405S->10E->15N trip many times, and during a busy weekend, it takes 2 hours to get to the 15. I'm mainly looking to avoid that. I dont have to go through downtown, but it seems like the easiest way to get to the 210 (avoiding the 101 at all costs). I live on Sunset, so right now I'm thinking I'll take Sunset to the 5 to 210 to 15.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'll be leaving around 7pm. I've made the 405S->10E->15N trip many times, and during a busy weekend, it takes 2 hours to get to the 15. I'm mainly looking to avoid that. I dont have to go through downtown, but it seems like the easiest way to get to the 210 (avoiding the 101 at all costs). I live on Sunset, so right now I'm thinking I'll take Sunset to the 5 to 210 to 15.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sunset > 5 > 210 should work. Just keep an eye/ear on the traffic report for the 5. If it's bad, take the 101 south to the 110 north and into Pasadena where you can hop on the 210.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I live on Sunset, so right now I'm thinking I'll take Sunset to the 5 to 210 to 15.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 5 to the 210? that is way out of your way! The 5 hits the 2 north near Dodger Stadium... take that to the 134 E to Pasadena which dumps right into the 210... then it's smooth sailing. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:10 PM

Driving to Vegas, on Friday, at rush hour, on Labor Day Weekend? dahhh

You're screwed.. Have fun sitting in your car [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2007, 07:31 PM

Cajon Pass alone will be a nightmare (as it is on every friday, let alone Labor Day weekend).

Try to get our earlier. Call in sick.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:39 PM

I can get out, my girl is a bank manager and has to close. I'm thinking about leaving without her.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:42 PM

U R Sooooooooooooooo screwed, sorry.