Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 04:17 AM

Default Re: What Movies Have You Watched Recently?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Coming soon: House of Re-Animator!

[/ QUOTE ]

Fo realz? Is it Gordon directing?

[/ QUOTE ]

wiki:

[ QUOTE ]
Stuart Gordon has been quoted on several occasions as expressing a desire to make a fourth instalment in the series, entitled House Of Re-Animator; ... In May of 2006, producer Brian Yuzna told Fangoria magazine that the film was indeed being made.... In addition to House of Re-Animator, Yuzna hopes to film two additional sequels in order to form a second trilogy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-27-2007, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are so many versions of Zatoichi -- who directed and who starred in the one you saw?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was the very first one, Zatoichi/Zatoichi 1/Zatoichi monogatori

Starred Shintaro Katsu, who I believe played Ichi in all the movies and TV show excepting the recent remake. This one I watched was directed by Kenji Misumi.

I may watch the remake soon, and compare and contrast.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:35 AM

Stuart Gordon directed one or two episodes in the well-regarded 'masters of horror' TV series. Don't know any more than that.

I'm waiting for it to come out in a boxed set to see the whole thing.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:00 PM

Hmm, never heard of it, but am intrigued. Flag me down when you see it come out on DVD please, DB.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:03 PM

Couldn't catch Knife in the Water at the movie theater, so I got the movie out of the library and saw it. I saw it in a huge screen (access to a projector), but it was a VHS hence the quality of the image was very poor (1979 VHS) and some of the subtitles were impossible to read.
The movie was good, but I didn't think it was that great. Certainly it's no Chinatown or Rosemary's Baby.

It was fun reading its trivia in imdb and seeing some of the crazy things they did while filming.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:08 PM

I watched Children of Men last night. My reaction after watching it was "wow". It's not that I thought it was the best film I've ever seen, nor by any means was it average/bad. I don't know how else to rate it but "wow". Those one cut scenes were so complex that it amazed me while I watched them. The first that springs to mind is when they are driving in the car and the motorbike. I won't say anymore because it has to be seen to be believed. It's an amazing film and should be watched. Warning: Extremely violent. I would have appreciated a little more explaination into the governments views and more into the "Human Project". Tonight I get to finally watch A Scanner Darkly, then if I have time I hope to watch some comedy or something, need to get in a better mood after watching such serious movies.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:17 PM

Venus
Peter O'Toole does a great performance as an aging actor that likes a young girl.
The movie was mostly funny, it was entertaining, but again nothing really special besides O'Toole's performance.
One point in its favor was that I hadn't seen an old guy/ young girl interaction in "romantic" terms, it was done in a very interesting manner.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Lives of Others The movie that beat my favorite movie of the last five years in the foreign film category of the Oscars, turned out to be an excellent film.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just saw "Lives of Others" last night. Wow. Best film I have seen in a long time.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:46 PM

Finally watched City of God today after having it from Netflix for the past week and holy crap, best movie I have seen in years. I remember it being up for a few Oscars the year LOTR swept (it was up for best direction, cinematography, editing, adapted screenplay; ironically not nominated for best foreign language as its in Portuguese. Won't get into the story at all, but three things:

Roger Ebert calls it "one of the best films you will ever see"

#17 in the IMDB Top 250 viewers ratings, above Usual Suspects and GoodFellas

One of Time Magazines 100 Greatest Films of All time.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:17 AM

High Noon
A 1952 Western movie. It has the beautiful Grace Kelly, maybe the most beautiful woman in cinema history. The movie is done in real-time, and the way the suspense is handled is perfect. The director keeps giving you the image of the railroad tracks to remind you that the evil is coming from there. John Wayne described this movie as the most un-American movie ever, and I can understand why, the hero is not a churchgoer and the town doesn't back up the hero because of their fear of death. Not the way an American wants to see his people. The Mexican woman shows more guts than anybody in the town. Surrounded with controversy, the movie wasn't like by the critics in its time, but now that it is seen without the tainted vision of politics, you can enjoy the build up of suspense and the tight editing in making an 85 minute film about 100 minutes in a day.
Very memorable movie, definitely something I would recommend.

The Set Up
A 1949 movie about boxing. Directed by Robert Wise (editor in Citizen Kane). This is another movie done in real time, you get a glimpse of 74 minutes in a day of a boxer's life. The movie deals with dreams, love and reality. Doing what you think will make you successful, might be worse than "losing". Interesting movie, with a very memorable boxing match.
Closed Thread