Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Right brain v. Left brain test - spinning dancer

[ QUOTE ]
i've tried everyone's tricks and tops but still can't see counter clockwise [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I started out clockwise and tried all tricks mentioned so far without success until I focused on the foot that spins in place. Once I was able to let that foot turn the other way, the dancer followed suit. Can't force it. It's still easier for me to go from anti-clockwise to clockwise than the other way around.

Edit: I'd hit it.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:09 PM

i see her going reverse cowboy on my johnson.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:14 PM

The most interesting part of this, for me, was how absolutely positive I was that it was going clockwise and ONLY clockwise the first time I saw it. My girlfriend and I were looking at it together and she could ONLY see it going counterclockwise and I was like honestly upset at how wrong she was and how ridiculous it is that she could see it that way. We tried like 5 different ways of comparing, I'd say "NOW!" when her ponytail was facing us, and she's totally disagree and say it was away from us. And then once I learned how to switch it was amazing. I would have bet a significant amount of money that the "correct" answer was clockwise after initial viewing, even though that bet would really be on the likelihood that my girlfriend had some sort of visual defect or something...thats how certain I was.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:14 PM

The right side logical, left side emotional theory has been debunked btw.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I started out clockwise and tried all tricks mentioned so far without success until I focused on the foot that spins in place. Once I was able to let that foot turn the other way, the dancer followed suit.

[/ QUOTE ]
-easiest way to swith directions

*the key is to switch directions when the foot is facing all the way to the left or the right.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(i think it is actually two patterns, one the reverse of the other-i can make her switch directions every 180 degrees thta i percieve her to turn.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the ultimate control goal. I've seen this before and spent quite a bit of time on it. I've yet to achieve the control scorcher863 describes. I can see the shadow swinging leg going back and forth always in front, but when I look up hoping to see the dancer follow suit my eye is compelled to perceive momentum carrying her around behind.

I suspect those who can easily achieve the back and forth image - thus nullifying momentum - have some special mental imagery abilities/tendencies.

What is your artistic/logic background scorcher863 ?

PairTheBoard
Old 10-16-2007, 05:51 PM

She's hot.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:20 PM

Got the back-and-forth. It's easiest for me when I'm focusing on the central foot. I can't seem to do it scorcher's way.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is your artistic/logic background scorcher863 ?

[/ QUOTE ]

My backround isn't anything special, though i've always excelled in math subjects.

I am 20 yrs. old and a four semesters deep into community college. I was able to understand the dancer because of a psychology class i took.

http://psychology.about.com/od/sensa...estaltlaws.htm

The sequence is strange. In reality it's not moving at all, but the way it's drawn the dancer is moving both directions at the same time. Since it is illogical for a dancer to spin in two directions at once, your brain perceives one of the two and continues with that direction.

For me the control part comes into play when the outstretched leg has reach it's farthest left or right position. At that point i'm imagining that leg as either the dancer's right (for clockwise) or left (counter clockwise) leg.

[ QUOTE ]
I suspect those who can easily achieve the back and forth image - thus nullifying momentum - have some special mental imagery abilities/tendencies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the special mental imagery tendency you describe is actually an illogical one. The required ability is to switch 2 aspects of the dancer.
1. the motion of the outstretched leg
2. the orientation of leg (right to left,left to right)
In real life, to think that your right leg can become your left defies logic. Since this is a silhouette and there are no distinguishing marks on either leg, here it can be done.

Pair the board - maybe your problem is that your too logical lol

scorcher863
Old 10-16-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting. Would you say that the list of "right brain functions" on the page describes you better than the other?

Also, was it necessary to give her nipples? She'd be hypnotic enough without them.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I am a PhD student in mathematics -- verrrrrry left brained. Can anyone stare at her boobs and see her spin ccw? Maybe that was my problem...