Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 05:24 PM

Default the spoon is too big

Not much of a read on the guy, but he insta called my flop bet, so given there arent any draws on the board is this a good spot to try and check raise? all in Also I c-bet like 95% of the time and then give up if Im called so Im trying to balance so when I check the turn it isnt always "ok, he has no hand now"

PokerStars $0.10/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em - 6 players
Hand Converter Tool from DeucesCracked.com

CO: $24.20
Button: $30.05
SB: $56.90
BB: $36.45
UTG: $78.05
MP: $22.80

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, MP folds, <font color="#FF0000">CO raises to $1</font>, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="#FF0000">Hero raises to $3</font>, CO calls $2.

Flop: ($6.10) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#FF0000">Hero bets $4</font>, CO calls $4.

Turn: ($14.10) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks
Old 08-13-2007, 05:48 PM

Default Re: the spoon is too big

If you just bet like 8 you will be able to push the river easily. No need for such fancy play.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:52 PM

having trouble deciding on the aggression at these stakes... higher up this is a perfect check raise, but this low the passivity of players might make just milking better.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
having trouble deciding on the aggression at these stakes... higher up this is a perfect check raise, but this low the passivity of players might make just milking better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Marginal hands &amp; draws will get checked through a lot. On the other hand those same marginal hands will happily commit many chips with a call, and sometimes will even decide the best course of action is to bluff when it's clear that Hero is solidly committed.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:15 PM

If we call preflop, the SPR will be around 12 which is good for our hand as it gives the top pair hands in his range the greatest difficulty making it profitable for when we try to steal or hit a set.

By 3betting, the SPR goes down to about ~3-4 putting us into the commitment threshold rather early. I would take that line if I believed I had considerable steal equity versus this player, because the pot size may oblige him to commit rather readily when if he hits.

In spite of the above, I would prefer to just call preflop. I just finished pnl, so let me know if my analysis makes sense.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:53 PM

i'd definitely recommend not 3-betting 99, especially while you're still learning. get comfortable playing in single raised pots, esp oop

i wouldn't lead on this board unless he's seen you lead with crap. if he calls, chances are he would've bet anyway. usually i look at my opponent's c-bet flop and turn. if he's 80/40+ flop/turn then i'll c/c c/(shove or call then crai on river). if his turn c-bet is pretty low, i'd just c/r it. if his flop c-bet is low you're probably ok leading since he could check back aces on the flop