Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2007, 02:18 AM

Default Helpful Hints For Random Things Thread

This thread is designed to give people tips regarding things you normally don't learn in any sort of class. For example, in driver's ed they don't teach you how to properly run yellow and red lights, even though it's something important to know. I'm not advising that people do this, of course, but if you already happen to have a tendency to do this, here's how you can minimize danger to yourself and others:

* Never run lights while in the right lane. If you screw up, you're far closer to a brutal collision from someone turning left. Try to pick the center lane whenever possible, as it will gain you extra time to get through the light as well as give you more bailout room.

* NEVER brake (most of the time) while going through a yellow or red light. I see people doing this all the time and it's not only idiotic but very dangerous. If you have a stickshift, throw it into 3rd gear and zip on through.

* Avoid running lights whenever the lanes are congested, especially when there are cars in very close proximity to you. Also be familiar with the lights you run, as some have different times between the change from red to green. Longer cycles are your friend.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:23 AM

Default Re: Helpful Hints For Random Things Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Never run lights while in the right lane. If you screw up, you're far closer to a brutal collision from someone turning left. Try to pick the center lane whenever possible, as it will gain you extra time to get through the light as well as give you more bailout room.

[/ QUOTE ]

am I the only person who didn't understand this part?
Old 01-27-2007, 02:30 AM

When a girl wants you:

If a female ever suddenly starts talking about how she isn't easy and she doesn't just sleep with anyone, this is because she wants to sleep with you and she wants you to feel special about it.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Never run lights while in the right lane. If you screw up, you're far closer to a brutal collision from someone turning left. Try to pick the center lane whenever possible, as it will gain you extra time to get through the light as well as give you more bailout room.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you imagine an intersection, the car that presents most danger to you is the one about to turn left from your right-hand perspective. The red light runners generally clip this car more often than any other car, simply because if they *really* run the light, this car is closest to you. If you are in the center lane, you give yourself about an extra 8 feet of room before the car can potentially hit you, which gains valuable time. Being in the right lane is a mistake because you're likely to hit them as soon as they enter the intersection.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On a busy street with 2 lanes in each direction, you're much safer running the light from the middle lane as a likely collision will come from someone to your right gunning it as soon as they see a green light.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:33 AM

don't you mean left?
Old 01-27-2007, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you imagine an intersection, the car that presents most danger to you is the one about to turn left from your right-hand perspective. The red light runners generally clip this car more often than any other car, simply because if they *really* run the light, this car is closest to you. If you are in the center lane, you give yourself about an extra 8 feet of room before the car can potentially hit you, which gains valuable time. Being in the right lane is a mistake because you're likely to hit them as soon as they enter the intersection.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why the car in question has to be turning left for it to be at risk? Isn't it pretty much the same as him going straight? Bah whatever, it's a stupid thing to argue about, and I think this thread actualy has some potential.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:52 AM

...or you could just NOT run RED lights....
Old 01-27-2007, 02:59 AM

How about....don't be the 2nd guy in the sequence of two vehicles tryng to run the yellow/red. I've seen the first guy bail while the guy behind him was accelerating...it wasn't pretty.....
Old 01-27-2007, 03:02 AM

dcj,

i understand you, but you did a horrible job explaining.

please mspaint your example so we can all move on.

all,

you don't have to change your oil every 3000 miles, your gut has to do with the calories you eat vs. the calories you burn, not sit-ups, always buy brand-name q-tips, your belt should match your shoes, gmail is the best web based email, you should probably smile more, and god is something that people invent to give themselves a purpose in life, and/or feel better about themselves.

also, there is always someone out there that knows more than you about ______ so don't act so cocky.