Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Hand against John Phan - $2500 Tunica event at the Gold Strike

I believe you are beat. You showed strength by re-raising an UTG professional poker player. He knows where you are at - you have a real hand and a big one at that. Furthermore, he is not playing JJ-KK in this manner - i.e. would he really min raise with any of those hands in this spot? He doesn't have any of those hands...

I am folding earlier in the hand but especially on river.

My very first guess is 87s or 67s. 2nd guess is 10-10. 3rd guess is total air (but still folding). Nothing in between.

don't beat up on yourself too bad. Tough hand to play.

Results?
Old 01-18-2007, 11:32 AM

I fold to the min raise. If you call the min raise then you should have made your decision and call the river IMO
Old 01-18-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold to the min raise. If you call the min raise then you should have made your decision and call the river IMO

[/ QUOTE ]
This is awful logic
Old 01-18-2007, 12:42 PM

so,

you basically announce aa, kk or ak pf with your utg+1 reraise. given no reads he has on you he really must put you on a big hand maybe with a seed of caution

you bet flop and he c/r you for about 25% of his remaining stack. ok - I like the flop bet as you needed info and letting a draw get there would be silly in my book.

Ok - so the turn completes the flush, fills a gutshot if he was being tricky - so what are you beating at this point? Pretty much a bluff only. I dont think theres anyway he does this with kk/QQ based on your play - I think he'd do pot control and he's doing anything but. I fold to the turn bet and take my 3k+ chips
Old 01-18-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd make my decision on the flop. I'd probably shove, and I like fold better than call against the flop minraise here. Only hand I'm really scared of is TT, however, and I think it's a very likely hand for him. The way I think of it, is if you are going to pay off TT for another 1k chips on the turn and maybe even on the river, I think the better play is push out the draws on the flop and lock up the guaranteed chips before he can suck out, and possibly get a call from KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with usher in that this makes little sense.

are you like a huge mtt donkey or something? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-19-2007, 05:43 PM

Results: I folded on the river. I feel like checking would have been far superior now in these UTG+1 vs UTG reraised pots vs a solid player as it makes the hand very simple to play in a deepstacked tourney. You'll still be able to get value with your hand when it's essentially face-up without risking all your stack in spots like this. The smaller the stacks are, the more likely I am to bet the flop and get it in. His most likely hand here was probably TT from the action, and so it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if I made my flush on the river and he still shoved. He could have easily had 7x tho but for now let's say TT. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-19-2007, 06:16 PM

I'm curious if you paid any serious thought to calling, that line (single black chip, 2-3 seconds to push) seems really strange.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So he's UTG, and sees something he likes so he raises to 100 (single black chip)

I'm UTG+1 w/5,000 and see AsAd and so I re-raise to 375 total. He chats a lil and says he hasn't even settled into the table yet, etc etc. He calls and so it gets HU w/me in position.

Flop: Ts 7s 7x (800)

He checks, I bet 550, he min-raises me to 1100 total, I call.

Turn: 8s (3000)

He bets a single 1000 chip, and I call w/2525 left on the river.

River: 5x (5000)

He announces all-in after about 2-3 seconds and then sloppily throws his chips into the pot. I have to call 2525 more which coincidentally is 101xBB.

You = ?

BTW, right after I bet the flop I realized that I actually like a check behind there much moreso than a bet. Couple of reasons are that I have the As, I'm UTG+1 and reraised an

[/ QUOTE ]

If we didn't know we were behind or not on the flop, on the turn, after his 1K bet, we should know we were behind. He puts you on over pair, (from the way you play it pf and on the flop) and he's building the pot on the turn. He didn't think you cold fold on the river after call his turn bet.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:53 AM

I still don't fully understand the reasoning behind the flop check, though it does intrigue me. I am always getting AA cracked and overplaying them so a new move with them would be greatly welcomed. Is it a pot control thing? I just want the basic strategy behind this theory.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No draws really got there unless he was messing around with a gutshot check-raise on flop (unlikely).

[/ QUOTE ]

umm.. spade draw hit on turn? holla

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we discount spade draws a lot? If it's a spade draw it's a big draw, so why min-raise the flop? And now on the turn he made his hand but he's worried about the ace or king of spades redrawing, so he underbets?

(Sorry if these questions are dumb. I'm a limidonk but I find myself with an entry to the Stars Million tomorrow that I don't quite know what to do with.)

To those asking about the flop check, one would think it prevents us from playing a big pot and letting him threaten to stack or bluff us. I dunno if that makes it right, though. You might be able to accomplish the same thing by checking through the turn. (?) On the plus side, he seems to be drawing either huge or near-dead, so I'm not sure if the flop bet really accomplishes much against draws. On the turn, if there is a blank or not your equity will be more clear.