Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 11:28 PM

Default Insecure about many areas,but not poker

Hi guys im 17years old in have been playing poker online for 4 years now im up over 100k overall,but my problem is that i lack much confidence in everything besides playing poker,for instance whenever i have to work hard at something ,whether it be going to the gym and pushing through the pain to get the body i want,or as easy as studying for a science test,as i see it when somehting gets difficult i tend to quit and return to poker.I alwyas say im gonna quit poker and try harder at school or go to the gym everyday,but i tend to quit that and hop on the internet and play online because that is where i feel safe.I really want to brake this fking habit.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Insecure about many areas,but not poker

[ QUOTE ]
...but i tend to quit that and hop on the internet and play online because that is where i feel safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, for real, seeing a therapist about these issues could be hugely useful. Otherwise, here's some general advice:

I think you answered your own question. How do you expand the situations where you feel safe? Obviously you feel safe playing poker because you've been successful there. I'm sure you didn't start out a huge winner, but used small victories and increases in skill to build your confidence. Same in other areas of your life. Be very careful, as serious success in one area of life (and let's be honest, 100k for a 17 year old is aweseome) can really skew your expectations in other areas of life.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:24 AM

Listen to the prev posters and try to find away to balance poker with everything else.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:36 AM

Getting a controlling girlfriend who will see "fixing you" as a project is normally a terrible thing, but in some cases it might actually help, like yours. Things like that often get low-confidence guys beaten into submission, but it will stop you from playing cards, that's for certain. Then you'll just have to fix the girlfriend problem when she's fixed your poker addiction problem.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:05 AM

hey - man I think its how you look at it - I think with that 100k you should set a goal for you self, for example - say by the time Im 19 ill buy a house or somthing - Start my own buisness - find out what your passion is - and the $$ will help you get there - !! Stay Positive - Keep you head up! - you have a right to be on this earth just like everyone else !