Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Things to help a 24 hour flight go faster?

[ QUOTE ]
force yourself to stay awake the entire day before departure...you'll sleep like a drunk baby for at least the first 14 hours

[/ QUOTE ]

this also helps with adjusting to the new time zone.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:52 AM

wtf, buy a portable DVD player that takes AA batteries. Buy a case of AA batteries (they don't have to be rechargeable). Watch movies.

I don't get it. People are telling him to spend $6k more on upgrading his flight when he says he thinks batteries are too expensive. ugh my head hurts
Old 10-30-2007, 12:11 PM

I don't know where you're based, but both LA and NYC have direct flights to Bangkok through Thai Air. Top quality service, all seating classes are slightly bigger than average, and you don't have to make annoying transfers in Tokyo or Taipei. Its a 17 hour flight, 10% more in price, but Thai airways is awesome.

Many flights have plugs on some of the seats. Also, the flight attendants have plugs and if you smile they will charge it up for you while you watch Pretty Woman. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2007, 05:18 PM

Bring a pillow, the ones you get on the plane sucks. If you do not have a window-seat I would recommend those awful-looking pillows that you put around your neck so your head have something to rest on. If you have a window-seat you can bring a medium sized pillow and lean on the wall. Night masks also look stupid but helps you sleep better. Earplugs or noise-canceling headphones would also be nice. The more sleep you get on the plane the better. NyQuil and/or alcohol also helps. Dont drink too much beeer that will force you to wake up for a bathroom-break, hard to go back to sleep after having gotten up.

Many airlines have on demand movies on long flights like that, so hopefully you do not need to bring your own DVD-player.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:22 AM

The key is sleep, but if you have trouble getting there as I do I have a recommendation. My most recent flights have been much easier since I've started loading comedies on my iPod/iPhone. I'd put action/drama TV shows and movies on there but soon find myself disinterested. I swear the comedies seem, for me at least, to make the flights so much faster and more enjoyable. Also, getting a seat next to French models named Aurelie is always an added perk.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:13 AM

eat the food
you'll end up on the toilet for the major part of the trip.
Then when u get back to your sleep you will find a way to fall alseep quite fast since its the only way to forget the massive diarhea the plane's food bring.

Spoken with experience.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:41 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 10-31-2007, 11:23 AM

upgrading is WELL worth it. portable DVD player. PS2. Books. Ipod.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:02 PM

I do the US-Asia roundtrip 3-4 times a year.

Book the midnight flight to Asia so that you'll sleep right away. Most Asian flights offer the 12-2 AM takeoffs from L.A. or other west coast cities. Take melatonin starting 3 days before leaving and 3 after you arrive. This will help you sleep like a rock for 8-10 hours on the plane and also helps with jet lag when you arrive.

Bring a neck pillow and eye cover. This is a must. Also bring vaseline for your lips to avoid dry cracking, and lotion for your hands. Eye drops are nice too. I always bring a normal-size pillow in my carry-on for the flight.

Of course, bring the usual entertainment items.... laptop (with extra battery), ipod, magazines, etc.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:44 PM

psp w/ sega mega drive game package was the best buy ever. then on top of that get a huge memory card and throw some videos on before, i formatted all of cardrunners stinger and aba videos into ipod video format before my last flight; psp format would have been wiser.