Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 01:22 PM

Default at a loss

so, heres the deal - im a senior at a small liberal arts school and am currently facing the problem of deciding on a thesis topic.for the most part, there arent any restrictions as to what topic i choose as long as it pertains to economics in the slightest way ( obv i am an econ/bus major). I was wondering if you guys had any genius ideas about a topic somehow involving/pertaining to poker. i really have no interest in writing a 30 pg paper about intertnational trade, regression analysis, place generic topic here. anyhow, any thoughts would be appreciated. i just need some ideas to stimulate the thought process and somehow connect poker to my paper - otherwise, i will prob shoot myself
Old 09-05-2007, 01:30 PM

Default Re: at a loss

I always thought liberal arts schools only taught art.
Now im really confused as to what the expression means.
Also I would write about the failure of military keynesianism.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:37 PM

actually, i think our military has enough loot for the time being. however, i was thinking about writing about facetious pricks - whaddya think?
Old 09-05-2007, 01:42 PM

Aaron Brown (2p2er) wrote a book on poker/econ called "The Poker Face of Wall Street"
http://eraider.com/book.php

Basic premise is that modern finance is an exercise in gambling theory, and that poker concepts can/should be applied to finance.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:43 PM

just a quick thought......maybe you could look at the overall international gaming industry & its business model based on providing negative expectation products to consumers, and compare/contrast with poker, online & live, potentially a positive EV experience...look at growth/profit, futures, the socio/econ/political aspects, e.g., UIGEA vs the rest of the world, demographics...I think it would be really interesting to see how poker fits into the overall gaming industry, or, maybe it is just a niche...I think the quant/economic elements of individual poker play/strat, e.g., risk of ruin/bankroll management, EV decisions, etc have been drilled to death by Chen & other authors
Old 09-05-2007, 01:47 PM

The only interesting work in this area is data driven and it's very hard to get good, reliable data. I think using finance tools in the poker arena and vice versa is pretty interesting. Stuff like porfolio optimization techniques for game selection or whatever. That's what I would do if I were doing it. Use some optimization tools to try to model poker player behaviour in some way.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:40 PM

use pokertracker for data and datamine and do some regression [censored]
Old 09-05-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
use pokertracker for data and datamine and do some regression [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are going to do a regression analysis, please do it on something interesting .... not on poker. try selling that at a job interview that isnt trading
Old 09-05-2007, 04:09 PM

I think it would be much more interesting to run something like player demographic data against win-rate, hands played, or something else. Like, are college kids the best? Do they play the most? High school kids? How much does win rate vary with amount of sleep in the week? The night before? Etc. But there are no data on these things...
Old 09-05-2007, 04:27 PM

What about a paper on the economics of regulating poker in the US. We all know that poker is a huge market and the upswing in owning a site is huge. What kind of effects would this have to a city that hosted a site.

Or maybe a paper on the cost of outlawing poker verse the rewards.