Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2007, 01:11 AM

Default Re: 2+2er Nike Plus group

Worked my ass off over the 3-day weekend. Just got back from the gym, did nearly 21 miles in 3 days. That's not counting another 10 or so on ellipticals. Tomorrow is a much earned break to watch some Ducks hockey.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:24 PM

Donkey (you seem to have this down)--or anyone else that can help,

I have been doing a 10 minute, 20 minute and 30 minute workout (I also sprint twice a week). Today was my 10 minute workout. My results are strange each time. I warmed up for about 3-4 minutes and then started my workout on 8.5 in the treadmill, on the treadmill it says the pace at 8.5 is 7:03. I ran at this pace for 4 minutes. Then I ran at 9.0 for 5 minutes, this pace is 6:40 and then for the last minute I moved back down to 8.5. My program stopped at the 10 minutes and I cooled off. Once again my Nike+ pace is way off, it said 10:37 per mile and that I ran .99 miles.

I know I ran more than a mile in ten minutes, I am running very well, the thing is calibrated and am wondering if maybe the sensor is messed up or maybe my gait could have to do with it--I am slightly pidgeon-toed. It is just frustrating b/c I am running 10 minutes and credited for not even a mile, I ran 30 minutes the other day and the treadmill had me at 3.65 miles yet Nike+ counted me for 2.67 miles, its as if the sensor isn't reading all my steps or something. So it is frustrating b/c I am missing some miles.

Any thoughts?

~td
Old 01-16-2007, 07:39 PM

Have you calibrated it on a track yet? Those are sorta like the numbers I was getting uncalibrated. Now I get between about a 2-6% variance. This is from the Nike+ website..."Our tests have shown that the median accuracy out of the box is 92%. With calibration, the median accuracy is 97%".

Oh, I think the way you wear the sensor makes some difference. I got the pouch thing and it was way off, so I ditched it and went back to velcro because I didn't feel like recalibrating. Anyway, it sits on top of my shoe, red side up, Nike swoop closest to me. That pouch seems to tell me something different about the direction, but it wasn't exactly really clear. Maybe someone else can help me on this.

I'm not sure what else it could be. If you don't get it working, search around the Nike+ forums for help.

BTW, I like the Marware band a lot. It's really comfortable. I wear it on my wrist and have easy access to the iPod. My only worries is it isn't very sweatproof. I hope it doesn't bother the iPod.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:48 AM

DK,

I calibrated on the track, both walking and running just to make sure. I actually prefer running outside or on the track but it has been icey and 20 degrees lately.

I don't have the pouch or any attachment, I have these shoes and they have the slot on the bottom of the shoe for the sensor to lay in.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:10 AM

I got back to Atlanta a few days ago, so I've been running a bit. I've logged a .5 mile test run, 1.5, 2 and 1.5. Obviously I'm not very good at running at the moment.

Just for some background, I ran x-country for part of high school and I think I was somewhere around 6'0" 185 lbs. However, I had very little muscle on me at the time and I wasn't in great shape. After I quit x-country, I started lifting pretty seriously and got up to a healthy 205. Then I fluctuated in college between 190 and 225, although definitely on the high end towards the end of college. Since then, I've gotten into poker and become a complete lazy tard (graduated college in May 2004, so about 2.5 year period), checking in during Christmas at a bloated 245 or so. Really pathetic. I basically resolved at the PCA to be more disciplined and healthy after getting back to Atlanta. Since Thursday afternoon, I've been keeping that resolution.

The good news is that in spite of my laziness I have lifted a fair amount over the years and I'm a relatively strong (albeit still fat) 245. If I can maintain a fair amount of my muscle mass as I drop pounds, I could be a healthy 210-215. But if I want to be truly skinny considering the muscle on my frame, I'll probably need to get in the 195 range. And for all the people out there who say that a 6 foot tall and 195 pound person is automatically fat because of BMI or some other crap, that isn't true.

So I don't have ridiculously far to go from a strictly weight perspective. I expect to reach my target of 210 sometime this summer and if this thread sticks around (I expect it will because of the Nike+ challenge), I will post some before/after pics at that point.

GL to everyone else with their running goals.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DK,

I calibrated on the track, both walking and running just to make sure. I actually prefer running outside or on the track but it has been icey and 20 degrees lately.

I don't have the pouch or any attachment, I have these shoes and they have the slot on the bottom of the shoe for the sensor to lay in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Crazy. You have the shoes that are made for it and it doesn't work. That's odd. You may have to send Nike an email telling them of your troubles to see if they can help.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I got back to Atlanta a few days ago, so I've been running a bit. I've logged a .5 mile test run, 1.5, 2 and 1.5. Obviously I'm not very good at running at the moment.

Just for some background, I ran x-country for part of high school and I think I was somewhere around 6'0" 185 lbs. However, I had very little muscle on me at the time and I wasn't in great shape. After I quit x-country, I started lifting pretty seriously and got up to a healthy 205. Then I fluctuated in college between 190 and 225, although definitely on the high end towards the end of college. Since then, I've gotten into poker and become a complete lazy tard (graduated college in May 2004, so about 2.5 year period), checking in during Christmas at a bloated 245 or so. Really pathetic. I basically resolved at the PCA to be more disciplined and healthy after getting back to Atlanta. Since Thursday afternoon, I've been keeping that resolution.

The good news is that in spite of my laziness I have lifted a fair amount over the years and I'm a relatively strong (albeit still fat) 245. If I can maintain a fair amount of my muscle mass as I drop pounds, I could be a healthy 210-215. But if I want to be truly skinny considering the muscle on my frame, I'll probably need to get in the 195 range. And for all the people out there who say that a 6 foot tall and 195 pound person is automatically fat because of BMI or some other crap, that isn't true.

So I don't have ridiculously far to go from a strictly weight perspective. I expect to reach my target of 210 sometime this summer and if this thread sticks around (I expect it will because of the Nike+ challenge), I will post some before/after pics at that point.

GL to everyone else with their running goals.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm slightly over 6'1". Sometime last year I hit 249. I've never been vey skinny, so I'm not really sure what that's like. Over the past 6 months I started eating healthier and working out. Especially the last 3 months or so. I'm 209 as of this morning after a December where I gained a couple pounds. My goal is 190ish, too. Then I'll work on adding muscle and be fine staying under 200 for as long as I can.

Actually, 205 and under will be fine. I can live with being a light heavyweight over a heaveyweight [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

So far I'm loving it. Feeling better and looking better. I get compliments everytime I see my friends and still have another 20 to drop, which I will do. I'm totally dedicated to it right now and this challenge only helps.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:41 AM

For reference, 9/26/06 ~225 lbs. (I don't have a picture of me any heavier)

12/30/06 ~210 lbs
Old 01-17-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
kyleb,

where are you from? i work out at 24 in san diego.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hotness, we should meet up sometime.

Er, I work out in Seattle. Entity lives here too.

And I think you need a Nano to use the NikePlus feature, but I'm not sure. Give your local store a call!

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome guys. I live in Seattle too.

Unfortunately I've come upon this thread 2 weeks late. I got Nike+ shoes and the nike+ sensor for christmas also. I got the nano for christmas last year.

I love the thing (already put over 12 miles on it since the new year) but I think it's not properly calibrated (I was running up hill while calibrating and haven't got the chance to calibrate on a track)

Maybe we should all run the burke-gilman once a month or something? I also run a few 5Ks (about 6/year) and there's one coming up at greenlake on Valentine's day.

I apologize if this stuff has already been mentioned...I haven't read through the whole thread yet...
Old 01-17-2007, 02:57 PM

DK,

Nice work. Keep it up.