Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 08:31 AM

Default Squash

I took up squash a couple of months ago and Iīm really enjoying it. The thing is that, where I go, they provide you with racquets, and so I havenīt purchased any squash equipment.

Now that Iīm getting past the "complete beginner" stage I think itīs time to purchase everything I might need. Obviously a racket is the first thing to buy, but do I need anything else like squash runners or a wristband or something?

Anyone know much about what the best types / brands to get are?

Also, I was gonna purchase on ebay. Or is there a better place to go?
Old 10-11-2007, 09:03 AM

Default Re: Squash

I use Dunlop rackets, but most of the brands have decent ones. Basically, just chose from the top price bracket of the brand and try before you buy. I've used Dunlop, Wilson, Gray's and Black Knight, and the only ones I didn't like were Black Knight (I had issues with their durability).

And buy new grips and change them often.

You can use any type of light, flat-soledm indoor shoe for squash. Don't use basketball/running/cross-training shoes because the sole is to thick and it increases risk of ankle injury.
I really like Adidas Stabil. If you play more than twice a week you should by new shoes every year.

Squash plays havoc with the skin on the toes and soles of your feet so I'd recommend getting good new sports-socks to avoid blistering and chafing.

Headbands and wristbands are a matter of preference. I use a rolled up bandanna to keep sweat out of my eyes. My hands are usually pretty dry so I don't need wristbands.

If you have any other squash related questions don't hesitate to ask.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the detailed response, that covered pretty much everything. Except for the fact that Iīll probably be purchasing on e-bay, so I wonīt be able to try before I buy.

So, with that in mind, is there a particular Dunlop racket you would recommend and approx. how much does it cost?
Old 10-11-2007, 11:29 AM

I'm going to buy new Dunlops pretty soon (my old racket is 2 years old) and I'll probably go with the Ice Elite or Ice pro.
Elite has a bigger net area (and therefore a bigger sweet spot) but is a bit heavier. It's also more expensive.

The Aerogel is pretty popular at my club, but I've had good results with the Hot Melt Carbon line before and the Ice line is a continuation of that.

I've never bought rackets online so I can't really help you there. I have noticed that there are often 2-for-1 deals online thought so you might wanna look into that. Having 2 rackets is very convenient if you become a serious player and start playing club tournaments. You'll have a backup if it breaks (you'll probably break a racket approx. once a year) or the string breaks, and you can switch between matches if the grip gets too slick from sweat.