Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 09:12 PM

Default Re: NBA - Abolish 3-Point Line?

[ QUOTE ]
What about moving it back a foot? Or to the point where it starts in the corners of the court?

[/ QUOTE ]

How about making every basket be worth a number of points equal to the number of feet ther the shot is taken from. Not only would it encourage more outside shooting, but games would have scores in the thousands (and thus would be more exciting to watch).
Old 02-12-2007, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What about moving it back a foot? Or to the point where it starts in the corners of the court?

[/ QUOTE ]

How about making every basket be worth a number of points equal to the number of feet ther the shot is taken from. Not only would it encourage more outside shooting, but games would have scores in the thousands (and thus would be more exciting to watch).

[/ QUOTE ]

Who would the MVP of the league be if this was a rule?
Old 02-12-2007, 09:36 PM

Gilbert Arenas, easily.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No. This is like Skip Bayless arguing against abolishing field goals and extra points.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. There are more than a couple people in the game wanting to make this change.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No. This is like Skip Bayless arguing against abolishing field goals and extra points.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. There are more than a couple people in the game wanting to make this change.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ya these aren't the same and besides anytime you make the person your arguing against look like skip bayless you win
Old 02-12-2007, 10:02 PM

Al,

No.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Al,

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tup - Imagine you weren't a Suns fan...

Haha personally, I like having the 3 in the game and like JofA, can't imagine the NBA without it.

But we're gonna see a point where teams are averaging 20 3pt FGA / game. Playing devil's advocate - is this a good thing? It's a bail-out shot a decent amount of times for the offense, and doesn't put a premium on ball movement.

There are higher % 3s than others obviously, but considering the extreme growth in 3 point FGA as % of total FGA, overall this might not be good for the game. We don't need more Antoine Walkers in the league.

-Al
Old 02-12-2007, 10:18 PM

Al,

The obvious solution is to adjust the line as necessary to help the game. Getting rid of it completely would be ridiculous for any number of reasons which I don't have time to get into right now (have a poker game to get to).
Old 02-12-2007, 10:28 PM

aboloshing the 3pt line would clearly be an act of racism.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Al,

The obvious solution is to adjust the line as necessary to help the game. Getting rid of it completely would be ridiculous for any number of reasons which I don't have time to get into right now (have a poker game to get to).

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy Tup - I think we all get that. And yeah, while in theory there might be some people who are for it:

[ QUOTE ]
• Nets president Rod Thorn: "We wouldn't have nearly as many horsebleep shots thrown up. The three-point line is such a part of it now that I don't see them changing it. But you know something, I'm a convert to getting rid of it. I think we'd have a cleaner game without it. I think we'd have not as many terrible-looking shots.''

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not know how many true advocates there are for it, and it's surely a remote, more like impossible, scenario to completely abolish it. The OP title is more for discussion purposes. But I do think it's possible a "no-3 point" brand of basketball could be a better one.

The line has been moved back and forth already, and if things are not trending well (wrt 3pFGAs) for the game's watchability, which I think is true, I could see possible new rule changes (even if it's just extending it a bit).

-Al