Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2007, 05:20 AM

Default Re: Friend that\'s a girl expects me to pay for drinks, awkwardness ens

yeah you did fine
Old 09-15-2007, 05:47 AM

Default Re: Friend that\'s a girl expects me to pay for drinks, awkwardness ensues.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OK, so as documented in a previous thread, I recently broke up with my fiance, and as such I'm stuck with an apartment that's far beyond my means. I'm paying ~53% of my take-home income on the apartment, and that's without utilities, cable, etc.

Anyway, bottom line is I'm pretty poor for the time being. A girl who was fired from my company about a month ago e-mailed me asking if I wanted to go to happy hour. I work in the financial district in NYC, which is a pretty expensive place to go out. And let me note - I'm not interested in this girl physically whatsoever.

So we meet up for happy hour, get about four rounds and some food. I ask her if we should get the check, she says yeah, but maybe we can stop somewhere on the way home, and she'll buy me a drink. This might not come across that well in type, but she was basically insinuating that she expects me to pick up this bill (which is about $80).

I sit there for about a minute, because I don't know how to react. Do I just eat it and pay the bill? Or do I say something?

Eventually I say, "Oh, I can't let you pick up both tabs. It was kind enough for you to invite me out to drinks. I insist that I get the tab for a drink on the way home?"

And then basically it's really awkward for her...

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed your situation...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is brilliant.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OP,

"And then basically it's really awkward as I try to explain to her, 'if it were last week, I'd pay"

If it were last week or last month, you should still be splitting this check. I think you handled it pretty well.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would the appropriate response be last week? What if you just got a huge inheritance / had loads of money before?
Old 09-15-2007, 07:29 AM

This situation is absolutely ridiculous and probably happens way more often than it should. I would not even think of apologizing, and "what are you f-ing kidding me" isn't that far out of line to say.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This situation is absolutely ridiculous and probably happens way more often than it should. I would not even think of apologizing, and "what are you f-ing kidding me" isn't that far out of line to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this guy, post more.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Friend that\'s a girl expects me to pay for drinks, awkwardness ensues.

[ QUOTE ]
No offense, but your decision making skills are questionable if you're tight on money but go blow $40 on one meal and zero pussy.

[/ QUOTE ]
In Manhattan, $40 for drinks and dinner =/= blowing a lot of money.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:20 AM

I think you did just fine up until the point you felt the need to explain why you have to split the check.

She invited you out, you're not dating. By saying that "you're just broke right now", you're insinuating that you WOULD have paid if you had the cash available, which you would not have.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you did just fine up until the point you felt the need to explain why you have to split the check.

She invited you out, you're not dating. By saying that "you're just broke right now", you're insinuating that you WOULD have paid if you had the cash available, which you would not have.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I agree. I should have been more straightforward. I was just trying to kill the awkward silence.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. Now this girl will be asking her friends for advice saying, "The date went pretty well. He said he would have picked up the bill if he wasnt so tight on cash. You think I should go on another date with him? I mean, he just broke up with his fiance."
Old 09-15-2007, 09:39 AM

I really don't think she thought it was a date. At the time that we agreed to grab drinks, I was still engaged. Also, part of the purpose was for me to bring her some old files she had worked on (that she couldn't get cuz she'd been fired). So I think it's more like she thought she'd get some free food/drinks out of me, but that's it.