Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Misplayed on every street?

I was with you until the river, but I would have called.

When BB checks the river I think it's very likely you have him beat (maybe 67 or something), so I don't think you should let overcalling bother you. MP2 didn't raise the turn, which could mean an overpair that's scared of a 5 or a straight, but could also mean AK or something that's hoping for a nice river.

It depends on what types of players they are of course, but against unknowns (read: probably not very good) I would make this call, especially given the fact that MP2 bet "quickly" on the river.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:43 PM

I don't think you misplayed any street. Instead, you misplayed the title of this post.

If you'd have called it "Tough spots with 88" or "Standard?" or something, everyone wouldn't be telling you "oh yeah, you definitely misplayed".

I think you played it fine. I raise PF 90% of the time, but not always; I raise/call the turn 20% of time; and call the river 25% of the time, but I honestly think it's fine as played. I definitely like the flop donk.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you misplayed any street. Instead, you misplayed the title of this post.

If you'd have called it "Tough spots with 88" or "Standard?" or something, everyone wouldn't be telling you "oh yeah, you definitely misplayed".

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL at this. Yep, all of MSLHE has a case of Oppositional Identity.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:53 AM

I'd raise the turn rather quickly here. Rest looks fine, honestly.

Rob
Old 08-01-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Backdrop: I'd just had a rush of premium starting hands, so I'd been raising a lot PF, which, in a game like the Commerce 20, calls attention to itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am actually surprised that no one is having any issue with open limping with 88 even UTG.

I would've raised on turn trying to knock MP2 out and trying to get a free showdown. As played, folding river is fine, but I usually pay off, since that's what I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the time I like the raise, but not in the case he described. He's been getting lots of good starting hands and has been raising with great frequency lately. With 88 there are two types of pots you want: heads up or as many players as possible. With his recent raising frequency even the UTG raise will get less respect and is unlikely to fold out most of the field. So limping in and hoping to get good set odds is a good alternative here.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what's usually consider as high frequency of raising? 2/orbit 3/orbit? Maybe I am in the minority here, hence I am stuck at poker lately, but I would usually limp for set value in LP, not UTG. Also, if I recall correctly, this is probably the 2nd orbit that Joker played on this table, I didn't think he was raising light or excessive.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:09 AM

3-bet the flop.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:38 AM

i really think you can fold the turn.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:17 AM

3-bet flop otherwise seems pretty good.