Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 03:20 PM

Default AJ flops big, but button shows strength.

Full Tilt 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (14.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 20.75 BB
Old 11-12-2007, 08:11 PM

Default Re: AJ flops big, but button shows strength.

I think you played this the only way you could. I don't think you can fold the river after UTG donks, even with a player left to act. I think you just landed in a tough spot. Can anyone find a fold to UTG's river donk? You'd have to confidently put button on QT, JJ or AK.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:58 PM

Any reads? UTG's river bet totally befuddles me.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:17 PM

This would be a pretty reasonable way for UTG to play QT, wouldn't it? He bets out on the flop because this is a dreamy action flop and he wants to get raised. Seeing the raise and cold call behind him, he decides to slow down and wait for the big streets. On the turn he doesn't want to knock hero out with a check/3-town, so he again calls. He donks the river and gets raised...ok, but then he didn't 3 bet on the river, and the only way he does that is if he's pretty sure button has QT as well and he's trying to squeeze you for one more bet.

I play it just as you did. Tough hand.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any reads? UTG's river bet totally befuddles me.

[/ QUOTE ]

A5.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:09 PM

As far as the central issue on the hand, yeah, I pretty much agree--you sometimes just have to accept that you're destined to lose some chips. That's the case here, since nobody was kind enough to face you with two cold &amp; allow you to escape from your aces up.

With a read on Button as passive &amp; straightforward, you could maybe find a fold on the river; to the first bet if it's a really strong read, to his raise otherwise (even getting 19:1). But without a read, I've seen far stranger things than Button flipping over A2 or KJ here.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:35 PM

I figure UTG has A5 and is not too bright. I call because I can beat him, and I'm not ready to fold to button yet. After all, button could easily raise the turn with a number of hands we beat or chop {A2, KJ, AJ, a bit of random}. Yeah, QT is a big part of his range, but getting very good odds, you have to call and make him show it.

When button raises again, I call hoping that he's as clueless as UTG. The pot is huge and there are plenty of good hands that you beat. This is no time for a hero fold.

good luck.
Eric
Old 11-13-2007, 06:48 AM

Thanks for the replies, I felt like it was super standard and I was destined to lose to Buttons Q,10.

UTG leading the river p*ssed me off, I was pretty sure button had me beat, although A2 and other raggy aces get showdown enough here that I wanted to get to showdown for 1BB.

UTG had K5o for a rivered monster LOL No wonder he led [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] , button had Q,10o.