Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 11:51 PM

Default should i pop him here?

Live 500+50 buyin. 200 entrants. 5K starting chips. First round. Blinds 25-50. I limp in early position w/ 5,7s(should i have folded?). two more limpers, small blind completes, and big blind checks. Flop comes 5,5,3 rainbow. Small blind check, big blind check, I check, first limper checks and last limper bets 300. Blinds fold. I call and limper calls. Turn is a 9. I check, limper checks and last limper bets 1K. What range do you put him on here and what's ur move?
Old 11-09-2007, 12:16 AM

Default Re: should i pop him here?

Fur, i don't mean to sound unnecessarily insulting, but almost everything is wrong in this hand.

Pre flop is a fold unless you are sitting at the most loose/passive table ever, which i guess is in theory possible in live. As a rule though, try to stay away from open limping, especially in EP.

On the flop there's no reason anyone should bet, so you should lead out and try to start creating a pot.

On the turn you need to check raise, probably all in unless that's really likely to scare him off in which case you need to something silly like check raise to 2500 and jam the river.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:53 AM

No offense taken bro. I'm here to learn...Agree w/ folding postflop. I have an issue of sometimes getting "frisky" preflop in live tourneys. For the flop, you think someone's more likely to call a bet with a pocket pair than to bet out himself? As far as the turn, I was actually worried the guy had something like a,5 or k,5 or maybe 33 given his very aggressive betting on that nondescript board so I just smooth called. thanks for the input and feedback on my reasoning above would be appreciated.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:04 AM

I disagree on turn check/raise. I agree with bond on other points but your opponent is likely bluffing or has a better hand so I'd just check/call turn and check/call river.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree on turn check/raise. I agree with bond on other points but your opponent is likely bluffing or has a better hand so I'd just check/call turn and check/call river.

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point I agree with this because he'll tell himself you can't possibly check a 5 three times and think you have some sort of weak pair and try to push you off - this happens more often than him having a weak pair and calling your value bets IMO because obviously it's going in when you're beat.

Preflop and flop ugh... When I do hit flops like this I lead just because no one will actually think you have a 5, I really have no idea now and I assume you're beat which is why you're posting the hand...
Old 11-09-2007, 05:45 AM

Hmm, so you slow-played it so he would bet out at you, then when he did, suddenly convinced yourslef you were probably beat and should consider folding? Thats not real good.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:03 AM

Actually Gobbo when i think about it you're right. In a limped pot there's just not enough he can have that will call our turn check raise.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:01 AM

Your in a tourny, you have a set. I'm moving in on the turn here. If your beat, your beat. Check calling every time you don't have the stone cold nuts gets you no information and smaller pots. Besides it is very weak. What if the guy hits his small PP on the river? If he's got a bigger 5 or 33 in the hole he's probably going to double up on me here. You play these types of hands to hit these types of flops. If you get soft and lay down or check check check after calling with a hand like this then I have to ask why your playing it at all?

I put his range in order of likelyhood as 44,66,77,88,99,33,56,34, two middling big cards. Only a real donk has A5,K5... etc here. Of course it's always more likely early in a Tourny. But, 3 of the 5's are out. You have to heavily discount that he has a 5 here. It's a difficult hand to read.

Calling the turn or raising $1000-1500 leaves this joker odds to draw if he's semi bluffing. Almost any kind of draw or 2 pair crushes you if he hits. I try to end the hand on the turn, stack up some very nice chips or go home.

Lets don't forget early in a tourny there are lots of dead money players. It's always possible he's holding a large pp he decided to get tricky with and slow play. Terrible move in my view given the action but certainly not uncommon. This is more common with 60+ players and if this guy fits that catagory and is otherwise unknown I'd move the big PP up the list quite a bit. If he's that bad he might double you up here with aa or kk.

The read is almost impossible but I just can't give him a 5 here. 33 or 99 are the only hands that are consistant with play AND bad for me. Majority of these other hands I'm happy for him to have.

Dave
Old 11-09-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No offense taken bro. I'm here to learn...Agree w/ folding postflop. I have an issue of sometimes getting "frisky" preflop in live tourneys. For the flop, you think someone's more likely to call a bet with a pocket pair than to bet out himself? As far as the turn, I was actually worried the guy had something like a,5 or k,5 or maybe 33 given his very aggressive betting on that nondescript board so I just smooth called. thanks for the input and feedback on my reasoning above would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

furfur--

Love your attitude. Keep it up and you'll get good fast.

I think Bond nailed this one.

--Nate
Old 11-09-2007, 04:30 PM

he had pocket fours...it went check-check on river....I had another thought...if he's bad enough to be betting with pockett pair on the turn, he's probably bad enough to call my check-raise huh? other side note, could I have done something like a 500 value on river? thanks everyone for the replies