Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Ask a College Basketball Coach

what do you think about the AAU system? corrupt?
Old 10-06-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a non-American it seems strange to me that college basketball and American football draw such a big audience, when there are also top level professional leagues in the same games. What is the attraction of these sports when played at college level?

edit: for example, why is there no such following for college baseball?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess its hard to explain to someone from outside the US, alot of it comes from atmosphere and tradition. In Football and Basketball (Football mostly because players have to stay 3 yrs) there is very high competition/skill level. I'd attribute a lot of basketball to the March Madness aspect/heavy school following. And for football the fact that saturdays are pretty much all college in a country that can't have enough football allows it to be so viable. Add that with the fact that there are regions where the college game is king and always has been gives it a big boost. Theres a lot of other reasons that I may not be able to explain that easily/forgetting about.

Part of the reason that college baseball isnt as big could be attributed to the fact that America's love for baseball started with the pro game, where in football and basketball the tradition of the sport is rooted much deeper in the college level.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess its hard to explain to someone from outside the US, alot of it comes from atmosphere and tradition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unlike Europe, America is spread way out. If you look at big cities, pro teams are popular (NY, LA, Boston, etc). College is more popular in the rural areas (the south, midwest especially). Europeans don't have these large rural areas so you don't have college sports. Think about it like rooting for the 2nd division team nearest you, because in the US, college basketball and football is basically second division.

[ QUOTE ]
Part of the reason that college baseball isnt as big could be attributed to the fact that America's love for baseball started with the pro game, where in football and basketball the tradition of the sport is rooted much deeper in the college level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, baseball has always been pro, basketball and football started out as college games.

Another huge reason is that the transition from college to top tier in baseball takes much longer. In football and basketball, a player is a college star one year and a pro star the next (or maybe the second year for a tough position like quarterback). In baseball, it's pretty standard to take 3+ years, so you don't get the constant hype about someone.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:48 PM

Casper -

If your goal is to become a D1 head coach one day, why is it best to be a small time assistant at a small D1 school vs moving your way up as a head coach (say, JuCo->D3->D2->D1 head).
Old 10-06-2007, 09:55 PM

what are your responsibilities? recruiting? scouting? reviewing game tapes?

How many hours do you work a week? Do you travel a lot of spend most of your time on campus?
Old 10-06-2007, 11:06 PM

Why are some of the bigger schools such pussies about scheduling?

I have season tickets to UNR (Nevada)- each year they struggle to complete their schedule. It seems that few good schools want to come to Reno to play. They signed a home and home with North Carolina this season, but have to go their twice for one home game.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Casper -

If your goal is to become a D1 head coach one day, why is it best to be a small time assistant at a small D1 school vs moving your way up as a head coach (say, JuCo->D3->D2->D1 head).

[/ QUOTE ]

I was curious about that too. If I was going to try to coach, my route would probably be the opposite.(head coach at D3, D2, then D1) If you have sick records it seems like you jump up fast.(at least from my limited knowledge of coaches i knew of)
Old 10-07-2007, 12:09 AM

how much will Kansas beat you by this year?
Old 10-07-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess its hard to explain to someone from outside the US, alot of it comes from atmosphere and tradition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unlike Europe, America is spread way out. If you look at big cities, pro teams are popular (NY, LA, Boston, etc). College is more popular in the rural areas (the south, midwest especially). Europeans don't have these large rural areas so you don't have college sports. Think about it like rooting for the 2nd division team nearest you, because in the US, college basketball and football is basically second division.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, baseball has always been pro, basketball and football started out as college games.

Another huge reason is that the transition from college to top tier in baseball takes much longer. In football and basketball, a player is a college star one year and a pro star the next (or maybe the second year for a tough position like quarterback). In baseball, it's pretty standard to take 3+ years, so you don't get the constant hype about someone.

[/ QUOTE ]

add that most of the high draft picks and eventual MLB stars never even go to college, but are taken out of high school or as a foreigner in the amateur draft.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This is one of the many reasons why this rule was instituted. I have a hard time agreeing with rules a lot of the time, but this one was 100% on point.

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously if you're gonna have the 'you can't call the players more than once or twice a week' you need to include text messages in that, but why does that rule even exist? seems kinda silly to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
What about PMs?