Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Re: high school kids protest

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To me, this alone makes the argument that those tests are likely a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

who's arguing they're not a good idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would assume the people protesting them in the linked story? Perhaps?

[/ QUOTE ]

nah, they just want to walk in their graduation ceremony w/ failing TAKS scores.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's not just a walk/not walk issue. It's that they're not being allowed to graduate because they couldn't pass some standarized "did you actually [censored] learn anything" test. So if they're just saying "let my kid walk", they're basically protesting the test.

I realize the danger in these tests is that you don't want people teaching students just to past the tests, but I'd feel like you can design something that allows some way to determine quality of education across different levels.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nah, they just want to walk in their graduation ceremony w/ failing TAKS scores.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's not just a walk/not walk issue. It's that they're not being allowed to graduate because they couldn't pass some standarized "did you actually [censored] learn anything" test. So if they're just saying "let my kid walk", they're basically protesting the test.

I realize the danger in these tests is that you don't want people teaching students just to past the tests, but I'd feel like you can design something that allows some way to determine quality of education across different levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about the TAKS, but on the Pennsylvania state assessments I took, I basically screwed around and put no effort into the exam and placed in the top 5% in the state in every category. Now maybe I'm better at that sort of thing than most kids, but no one I knew FAILED it. If it's at all similar in Texas, if someone is failing this kind of test and has a 3.5, then it's not that the test is bad, it's that they should not have a 3.5
Old 05-29-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

theyre acknowledging they have failed the test and must receive a passing grade in order to graduate. they want to walk across the stage w/ their peers and acknowledge they will retake the test in the summer.

i think you are defining the word "protest" in your own way.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about the TAKS, but on the Pennsylvania state assessments I took, I basically screwed around and put no effort into the exam and placed in the top 5% in the state in every category. Now maybe I'm better at that sort of thing than most kids, but no one I knew FAILED it. If it's at all similar in Texas, if someone is failing this kind of test and has a 3.5, then it's not that the test is bad, it's that they should not have a 3.5

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if kids are dumber here, or the number of people that don't speak English are the reason why, but I think something like 15% failed this year. Since you get a ton of chances, I have no sympathy for these people.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let are kids walk.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lol in the Special Olympics Opening Ceremony maybe.

Love the top 10% rule in Texas. These retards would get admission at UT no questions asked while someone who worked their ass off, high test scores, but finished 11% in a top high school may not get in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, it's a crime that Texas has such a progressive policy allowing rural and urban kids to actually compete with the pampered suburban brats who went to the best schools with the best teachers. What a shame that these spoiled and coddled whiners can't make the cut against their own classmates. Maybe the universities should just bar anyone from a poor family or area from attending. That'd fix 'um!

[/ QUOTE ]

God i hope im getting leveled hard here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? I mean the 10% policy has its problems, but it seriously levels the playing field - there's definitely a lot of room to consider it a good policy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually know very little about the 10% policy in texas and therefore shouldnt make any statements of opinion about it. I was just alluding to the very Michael Mooreish tone the post took on.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let are kids walk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Love the top 10% rule in Texas. These retards would get admission at UT no questions asked while someone who worked their ass off, high test scores, but finished 11% in a top high school may not get in.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea, it's a crime that Texas has such a progressive policy allowing rural and urban kids to actually compete with the pampered suburban brats who went to the best schools with the best teachers. What a shame that these spoiled and coddled whiners can't make the cut against their own classmates. Maybe the universities should just bar anyone from a poor family or area from attending. That'd fix 'um!

[/ QUOTE ]

It levels the playing field between the literate and illiterate. This has nothing to do with poor vs. rich. It has to do with punishing people who's parents put them in a demanding high school. If you went to a poor school and actually do the work, welcome in. They don't compete, they just destroy the university once they get in. The school has to either lower their standards for these nitwits or just fail them out.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:51 PM

Is this girl really valedictorian, or did she mean to say she finished in the top tier of her class? Without any further information, I am guessing it's the latter.

And WOW at the "Let Are Kids Walk" sign... holy cow
Old 05-29-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously? I mean the 10% policy has its problems, but it seriously levels the playing field - there's definitely a lot of room to consider it a good policy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I went to a Texas public school and it was laughingly easy to be in the top 10%. There are very few schools in Texas where this is legitamitely a tough task. So if you happen to go to one of those schools, you just need to pull a 1200+ SAT and you will be fine. I don't understand why someone who was a 1050 SAT but went to a "hard" school in their upper class white neighborhood has a right to complain about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

What school did you go to? One person I know had a 1250+ SAT score and was denied entry to UT because of the top 10% rule. I forget her exact score, it was probably above 1300. She had AP credits, finished in the top 20% of a tough high school, had a 3.8 or so. Of course, one year at Texas State with a 4.0 she was admitted transfer after all the morons who couldn't even read failed out.

I went to a hard high school in Ohio, was about 13th percent in my high school (due to a crappy weighting system where taking an AP class and getting a B was worse than getting an A in a basic class). 1450 SAT, 32 ACT. I don't have the stat now, but something like 75-80% of the admissions to UT are due to the 10% rule. I wish I could find the stat, but its HUGE.

If you want to make it a top 5% get into the school of their choice, top 10% get into SOME school out of many (maybe not their top choice), it would be much better. You have all the out-of-state people competing with all of the good, but not top 10% in-staters for the remaining few spots.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let are kids walk.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It levels the playing field between the literate and illiterate. This has nothing to do with poor vs. rich. It has to do with punishing people who's parents put them in a demanding high school. If you went to a poor school and actually do the work, welcome in. They don't compete, they just destroy the university once they get in. The school has to either lower their standards for these nitwits or just fail them out.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got to be kidding me, do you seriously believe this? The 10% rule compares how you do relative to those in the exact same situation as you. Someone in a poor area getting a 1050 on his SATs has considerably more potential than someone in a wealthy area with the same score.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let are kids walk.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got to be kidding me, do you seriously believe this? The 10% rule compares how you do relative to those in the exact same situation as you. Someone in a poor area getting a 1050 on his SATs has considerably more potential than someone in a wealthy area with the same score.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not neccisarily. We aren't talking about SAT. We are talking about class rank. I'll take the 30th percentile at Austin - West Lake over the 10th percentile at Billy Bob County High School or Espanol High any time.

If you are top 10% in any public Texas School, you are automatically in! Even with a 400 SAT.