Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Talking poker outside 2p2

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wish I had kept my mouth shut. I finally told my roomates how I do in poker and now they all want lessons. They all want to put $50 online and have me help them turn it into a billion dollars overnight. Or they want to give me money and take a piece of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the opposite feeling, I have some friends that play home games once a month and play money online. I have offered lessons, becasue I think I would feel really good about contributing to them learing a skill that would make them money. I just cant help wanting to help them considering I see how poor they play and they are my friends. They show zero interst in improvement, they think they know all to know.

[/ QUOTE ]
True dat.

"I'm more of a gut player, you like all that math crap. It's just not my style"

[/ QUOTE ]

lolzers
Old 11-20-2007, 06:44 PM

I have a friend, that thinks its not possible to make money in the long run. When I see him (rarely these days) I avoid the subject of poker. He makes comments like " do you know anyone that makes money that gambles" if the subject is brought up by someone.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

"I'm more of a gut player, you like all that math crap. It's just not my style"

[/ QUOTE ]

lol yeah.

imo the worst is when you have friends who know some poker but don't like 2p2 and like to spout their own theories. for example i have just been getting educated by my flatmate in 'bullying short stacks with a big stack in a cash game' (apparently this works better in cash games than in tournaments). this flatmate is also the author of 'calling to fold' theory - the idea is that to avoid having the image of someone who can be run over you occassionally call a PFR with trash intending to fold to 95%+ of flops. lolllll

thankfully i have a few mates who do understand the game pretty well...
Old 11-20-2007, 08:32 PM

Worst discussion I ever had was with my aunt (yeah what was I thinking talking gambling to them).

She told me that you cant win at gambling over the long term and I replied that in poker you can as you can posibly have an edge. She wouldnt believe me so I told her, what would happen if 10 players sit on a poker table and play for 10 years without taking a break (Assuming no rake) ?

She answered "all loosing money"
"Where the [censored] is the money going then ?"
"hum, dunno but you cant win at poker, end of discussion".
Old 11-20-2007, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have friends that play poker. That doesnt mean they actually play for money however. Talking strat. with some of my friends would be akin to talking to a tree.

[/ QUOTE ]

I once tried explaining to a friend of mine who is wealthy why his poker game is so bad (he donks around on 200nl), so I explained a few things and lent him some books, after all, he is a friend. He understood little to none - actually, if he actually cared about donking off 200 bucks everytime he sat down he would have prob taken me seriously - of what i told him.

So I changed my screen name and st down at all his tables and took his money like all the other regs were doing.

Some friends who play poker weren't neccessarily made for it.....

EDIT: I am a bad, bad man
Old 11-20-2007, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
New GF FTW. Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. I emailed her a link to this thread hoping maybe she would read it and understand better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Frickin fabulous

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't wait for her to get home. It's going to be spectacular.

I wouldn't be surprised if she registered to flame me. Stay tuned for possible real time, in-thread trainwreck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey One Outer's GF, poker earnings are all about the long haul. Don't get your panties in a bunch worrying about daily ups or downs, all you need to be concerned about is your BF's hourly wage.

If he can't tell you what his hourly wage is, averaged over the last 6 months, then kick his degenerate ass to the curb.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:42 PM

my non-gambling friends have learned to stfu for the most part, since i've been deriving a significant portion of my income from internet gambling for a few years now.

if you think people asking you about poker is bad, tell them you bet on sports for a living. see what they say.

the most commonly annoying thing i get is similar to the michael scott line from the office: "hey, can i give you like some money, and you double it, and double it again maybe five times?"

gtfo.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:02 AM

when I talked to a friend some time ago about gambling, I explained odds and outs to him and he understood. when I asked him, if he would flip a coin where he could win 10$ or loose 1$, he said, he wouldnt do it, because he doesnt like gambling.
and he does not need every dollar to get food or something.

and my mother is always worried that I lose everything I own or my boss finds out I play poker and I lose my job. but she said, it is ok if I play very low stakes only. I shouldnt tell her that my goal is to move up, she would freak out.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you talk poker to people who arent very deep into it ?

Most of my friends / family know I play but know very few about the game, when they ask if I am up or down for the day, I never really know what to answer (I play 5/10 - 10/20 limit so I have decent swings for people outside of poker). So most of the time I got away with I am up 70$ or something that sounds very reasonable.

Also I am 21 (well will be in 2h !) so most of my friend dont have a lot of disposable income and for them 100$ is a lot of money so I kinda try to avoid those discussions but they are pretty curious about me playing poker. It usually doenst bother me but I told them I had a 2k downswing in a few days and I couldnt take the stupid answer they gave me, loosing 2k didnt put me on tilt but they did.

So how do deal with this ? Do you just hide it ? Do you just avoid it by saying "yeah I am up a few" no matter what ? Or do you try to explain them ?

Not really looking for a miracle answer, just to see how people deal with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

ARE YOU KIDDING ME SON? YOU POST HERE ABOUT TALKING POKER IN REAL LIFE, WHEN YOU SHOULD BE BANGING BREEZIES AND GETTING DRUNK IN THE CLUB THIS IS PATHETIC.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:35 PM

i have this problem at work. they know i play as they have seen me reading some poker books on my break. when they ask how i am doing, i reply with something like, yea i done ok last night. trying to keep things short and sweet. but because i work in a bookies, they are obv interested in the figures as they are all gambling degenerates.

once i sat down and told the guy how i had won a few hundred dollars in a few hours, he went into a total rant saying if it were that easy everyone would be doing it instead of working, and that if i was making hundreds in hours then i dont need to work, so i couldnt possibly be telling the truth.

i have one friend that shares my enthusiasm for the game, well i thought he did, he can talk about poker all day, strategy game theory tells anything. but he has another love, alcohol. and that comes first. so he doesnt play.

so yea, after many arguments and dirty looks, i just dont talk about poker anymore.