Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Jimmy Rollins - Philly sports talk radio rant

Oops, my bad, possibly closer then I thought. Depending on how you measure it Ramirez was worth somewhere between 5 and 30 extra runs offensively... probably actually right around 25.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oops, my bad, possibly closer then I thought. Depending on how you measure it Ramirez was worth somewhere between 5 and 30 extra runs offensively... probably actually right around 25.

[/ QUOTE ]

25 sounds accurate, the overall comparison just depends on which fielding metric you use, all of which have flaws.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

25 sounds accurate, the overall comparison just depends on which fielding metric you use, all of which have flaws.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the fielding metrics for Rollins are all over the place, anywhere from pretty good to a bit below average. All the ones mentioned plus PMR puts Rollins at +17 outs (about 12 runs), but it also puts HRam at -3 outs (about -2 runs).

The analysis of overall player value by position on this blog seems to be pretty accurate to me. His fielding analysis is almost the same as the first link you gave, except he uses slightly different weights.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:31 PM

I don't know where he got his offensive numbers from, but using his fielding numbers (FAA + 6 = FAR) and VORP:

Hanley 89.5 - 13 = 76.5
Rollins 66 + 3 = 69
Reyes 46 + 21 = 67
TT 37.8 + 28 = 65.8
Renteria 47 + 4 = 51
Old 11-15-2007, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the fielding metrics for Rollins are all over the place, anywhere from pretty good to a bit below average. All the ones mentioned plus PMR puts Rollins at +17 outs (about 12 runs), but it also puts HRam at -3 outs (about -2 runs).

The analysis of overall player value by position on this blog seems to be pretty accurate to me. His fielding analysis is almost the same as the first link you gave, except he uses slightly different weights.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf jose reyes
Old 11-15-2007, 07:39 PM

Hmmm, it looks like he used RAR from BP. I guess I didn't look that closely, I thought he was using VORP.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf jose reyes

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not that absurd. It's very close between the three with Reyes being that much better at defense.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:56 PM

Its 4. TT and Reyes were very close on both sides of the ball.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ban OP.

Rollins was the best shortstop in the NL last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ban. Actually you could make a good case that he is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, its pretty easy making a case for [censored] thats true.

OP obviously has no idea what he is talking about when it comes to baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]
It appears that you have a reading comprehension problem. Where did I say that Rollins wasn't the best shortstop last year? I said that Rollins is not the best shortstop in baseball, meaning, he won't be the best shortstop for the upcoming season.

If you have a choice at Ramirez, Reyes, or Rollins next year for just one year, you would be crazy to pick Rollins 1st or 2nd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reyes was terrible in the second half. I might think about Ramirez if he can play the outfield rather than shortstop. If were talking shortstop, I take Rollins.

Also, I think Reyes has the ghey. I saw some glamourshots of him and Wright that make Liberace look rugged.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know where he got his offensive numbers from, but using his fielding numbers (FAA + 6 = FAR) and VORP:

Hanley 89.5 - 13 = 76.5
Rollins 66 + 3 = 69
Reyes 46 + 21 = 67
TT 37.8 + 28 = 65.8
Renteria 47 + 4 = 51

[/ QUOTE ]

The offensive numbers are my own calculations, although I didn't create any new methodology. I used BaseRuns to calculate custom linear weights for each team, game-weighted park factors, defensive positional adjustments (VORP uses offensive averages, which is poor form), and a 74% replacement level. Defense is simply a weighted average of a STATS and BIS zone rating (like what Justin at Jinaz uses, but without the Fans Scouting Report piece -- it's probably best to use it, but I ran the numbers before the results were out.)

I'm obviously not claiming this method is flawless, but it's more sound than VORP or Win Shares (with defensive values obviously the most contentious piece.)